Chapter Thirty-Three

Location: Beverly Hills, California
Date: September 29th, 1950
Name: Eleanor Hazel Curtis
Age: twenty-four

It wasn't supposed to end this way. Dale was supposed to come home and they would have children and be even more in love. She only had him for eight months and now she'd never see him again.

She wanted to have faith and believe that her Dale was still alive, but it was too hard. Too disappointing.

Eleanor stopped walking and looked out at the waves. Her eyes closed and a memory of Dale came to mind.

They were swaying on the sand. Her head rested on his chest and she could still remember how fast his heart was beating. It was precious.

"And when I see you smile, my mind starts racing. I want to figure out how can I see you smile like that every day. That Christmas, that day I normally ignore, when I found out how much you loved it, I would've dressed up as Santa Claus just to see you smile. Don't you understand?"

Dale's voice rang in her mind making tears fall. She would never forget that day, he made her heart fly like a butterfly. He only wanted her to be happy.

He wanted to buy her a car.

"Dale," She sobbed brokenly. Nothing could heal her heart.

After crying for a while, she walked to her car and drove home. A good nap would help her forget for a while.

Her eyes opened at the sound of rapid knocking at the door. Clark didn't bark, which was strange.

Eleanor dragged herself off the couch and walked to the door.

As she opened the door, her heart jumped. It couldn't be. No. "Dale!" She cried happily and he wrapped his arms around her tightly.

"My Dale! Oh, I've missed you so much! I-i didn't believe it when they came, oh, I can't believe that you're back!" She rambled with tears in her eyes.

It was a dream come true!

Dale pulled away from her and smiled. He was so handsome.

She lifted her hand and touched his daringly handsome face. "No!" She screamed as her Dale faded away.

Her eyes shot open and she looked around.

It was all just a dream. Another nightmare. Another trick to play with her broken heart.

"I-i can't do this anymore," Eleanor screamed and kicked the pillows off the couch.

She ran to the backyard and thunder crackled. "Why did you do this to me? I just can't be happy for one second!" She yelled angrily and sobbed in her hands. "I-i just wanted to love him. T-they were right," She said lowly.

Those awful men told her that she couldn't be loved. And now the only man who ever loved her is dead. "Why God?" She screamed and rain started pouring from the sky.

She kicked a potted plant and it shattered. Just like her heart. Her body shook as she sobbed and she lay on the grass. "I-i need you," An image of Dale's face took over her mind. "I'm not fit to be alone!" She needed her husband. Her best friend. He was wonderful to her and she needed him.

The rain poured down on her, but she didn't care enough to get up. Dale was her motivation, getting his letters, knowing he was alive.

"J-just one look at you, m-my heart grows t-tipsy in me," She croaked and imagined the lovely feeling of Dale's arms around her waist. The day he proposed they were dancing to that song and she said, 'I love you,'

Memories are all she has left.

Thunder grumbled and lightning struck, but she just stayed on the ground. Her heart was broken.