V

Jungkook enjoyed the little things in life

He enjoyed the serene silence that came with early morning jogs, the sun peaking its head over the horizon to paint the sky in broad strokes of rose pink, rusty orange, and steel blue. He liked the way it would start out dark and by the time he circles back around to his apartment the fresh dew of morning would have already fallen upon his honey-toned shoulders.

He liked music; liked taking apart the layers, finding the tones that were most soothing to him, identifying the beat, counting the rhythm. He liked that each note was like a word and a whole song stitched together, a love letter to the listener.

Jungkook liked working out at night, just before the gym closed when the least amount of people would be there. He worked out until his muscles were sore and it felt like he couldn't even drive himself home. He liked the tingling at the end of his finger and the trembling of his hands when he couldn't write properly.

Jungkook adored the small things. He noticed them well too. That's why he likes Iris. He likes the little mole on her forehead just under his hairline and on the right side of her cheek. He likes the way she chewed on her pen when focusing on something. Even down to her name.

Iris.

A beautiful flower representing wisdom, courage, admiration, and hope.

Jungkook paid special attention to the little things because his mother never did. She never noticed the way Jungkook would always drop nearly everything just to be there to help her with whatever event she was doing for whatever reason. She never noticed that even though they only talk around 3 times a month, he always sends her the biggest assortment of her favorite flowers, pink orchids, on her birthday. She never noticed how his grades have been slipping, how he's been thinking about dropping out.

He doesn't blame her for any of it. Not at all. She was a busy woman having to raise a rowdy son all by herself after the fatal end of her husband in a car accident. The grief and realization that she now had to provide for him alone all while she was attempting to become a plastic surgeon kind of...changed her. So maybe she didn't have the time to come to taekwondo tournaments and the few award ceremonies he was set to attend.

Jungkook figured he should be grateful and he is. She was doing the best she could at the moment and he'd never fault her for that.

His mother mostly called him over when she needed something, which...it felt nice to be needed he guessed. But being needed and being wanted were two different things.

Jungkook wanted to be wanted. Just once he wanted her to call him just to see how he was doing, ask how his grades were, if he was adjusting nicely to adulthood. Was he asking for too much? He just wanted to know what it might feel like to know that despite not needing him to be there, someone wanted him to be there regardless. It must be such a nice feeling. He understood more than anyone how busy she was and the fact that she even wanted him to go to her events was enough to satisfy his need to be wanted.