Let's Go Home

Valen was taken from the Hydra base seventy-four days ago. Since then she was placed in another cage by the Avengers. They offered her to join their team, but she didn't trust the people who made it up. Not even Bucky, who she's known as long as she can remember.

For the longest time, she could not get a job. No matter who she talked to, where she went, or what she did, they always rejected her. They would receive phone calls either before or during an interview which would change the whole mood. They no longer acted interested and told her she would not be joining them.

No job meant no money. No money meant she could not support herself. It didn't take long for Valen to become homeless.

Not knowing who was behind those calls or what was said, she went into hiding. She's managed to move to Tennessee where she lived in a run-down boxing gym. She got to live in the back in a small room if she cleaned up every night. They paid her a small amount, but she got to train as much as she wanted when no one was there.

She also changed her hair. Not knowing this mystery caller, she assumed they knew what she looked like. So instead, she chopped off her long silver hair and bought a box of hair dye. The extra black dye washed off in the sink as she rinsed off her newly colored hair. If she went out, she kept a hood on, a hat, or sunglasses to block people's perception.

Her life of newfound freedom would not be anyone's top pick in life, but it proved enough for her.

Tonight was fight night. Men crowded around the ring placing their bets on who would win. Two guys got up in the ring and tapped their gloves. The men watching were already yelling and cheering.

Valen stood in the back corner observing their every move. Jab to the stomach, a kick, a punch to the face. She couldn't help but think how she would've done something different. Near the end, the first guy knocked out the second. A snort escaped Valen and all the men including the winner turned to look at her.

The winner looked her up and down. "Think something is funny do ya?"

With a smug look, she crossed her arms and shook her head no.

He jumped out of the ring and threw his gloves on the ground. With quick momentum, he grabbed Valen by the throat and pinned her against the wall. "Go ahead, laugh."

Annoyed, Valen grabbed the guy's wrist and took her other hand to push his elbow away. He ended up being bent over with his arm in the air in her hold.

"You bitch." The guy tried to move to get out, but Valen would put more pressure on his arm, increasing the risk of popping his shoulder out of his socket.

Deciding she was getting bored, she threw his arm down and used her foot to kick him to the ground. She would've loved to turn him into an ice sculpture, but word would get around that the new girl could create ice from her hands. That wouldn't be good for business.

Not wanting to continue in this little show, Valen took off to the back of the gym and turned invisible. It was perfect timing because the winner came running in her direction after he got off the floor.

He looked around but couldn't find her. "I'll be back." He spat on the floor and went back to his group of loud men.

Valen rolled her eyes and took the back exit. Knowing them they would be there for a few more hours. She took off down the quiet, dark street and entered a bar.

"Quiet girl, you're back!" A large man with face tattoos threw his hands up in the air in surprise. He owned the place and started to take a liking to the young girl. She reminded him of his younger self. Quiet, no friends, distant.