Chapter Seventeen

Picture of Carter's Dress (imagine the sleeves being a bit longer...)

-Unedited

Carter Kelly's P.O.V

"Lee, I don't know about this one..."I come out of her closet in a tight, black dress with the best area nearly three cup sizes too big. It has long sleeves though, so I suppose that's a good thing. "It doesn't fit."

"I could pin it..."Lee attempts to redeem the dress but when she sees the look on my face, she gives it up. "Let me find a smaller one, black isn't really your color either."

"I like white."I answer her as she flips through possible dresses.

"Then white you shall have."She winks at me, pulling out two white dresses. One is significantly shorter than the other, and is strapless. That's a problem. The other is lace and has long sleeves. So, obviously, I choose the second one.

"Thanks."I give her a small smile and go into the closet again.

Tyler has this thing where he make sure I don't show other people my scars, not even him. Unless I show him. He wants me to be ready for people to see them. I don't really leave my room with a short sleeve shirt, but if I go into the kitchen to get something to drink and he's there, he doesn't even look at my wrists.

And he has a thing about me changing in front of people. Not just guys, but girls, too.

I don't have a problem with it, though. I mean, now I have an excuse not to do it.

"Let me see it!"Lee calls from her and Landon's room.

"Just a second."I call back, pulling the sleeves over to my palms. I take a deep breath before coming out of the closet again. "Is it okay?"

I shift uncomfortably as I stand in front of her and tuck my hair behind my ears. Lee smiles at me and nods.

"I can see it."She clasps her hands together and grins widely. "We'll go simple on the makeup, neutral. Nude eye shadow, light eyeliner, pale pink lip stick... I got this."

"Do you know the Zetas very well?"I ask her.

"I do a bit."She answers. "They're nice."

"That doesn't help."I sigh, running a hand through my hair.

"You'll be fine."She tries to reassure me. "If it helps any, Leslie and Mark just had a little girl a few months ago. Her name's Abby, she has an older sister named Sarah. Just make sure to be nice to them and you'll be okay."

"Kids hate me."I mutter.

"I doubt that."Lee gives me a flat look. "You look like a princess."

"I don't look like a princess."I roll my eyes at her. "Tyler just calls me princess."

"Because you look like one. And he treats you like one."Lee stands up. "You look perfect in that one, that's definitely it. Now you have to help me."

"Okay..."I sigh and look through her closet. "Go for something blue, it brings out your eyes."

"Thanks."Lee smiles, grabbing all the blue ones she saw.

I never actually thought I would have a friend that's a girl. Girls always end up hating me, but I think Lee's different. She doesn't even bring up what's happened to me since I've been introduced to their world.

"I think I like this one."Lee comes out in a blue baby doll dress that goes a bit above her knees.

"Me, too."I give her a small smile.