Twenty-six

James

A sigh escaped my lips when Jennifer finally left my office. Coming here uninvited and trying to seduce me? She needed to be put in her place. I took a sip of the scotch and stood up to leave the room. As soon as I walked towards the stairs I heard voices. My eyebrows furrowed. She hadn't left yet?

I quickened my pace, ready to throw her the fuck out when the sight at the bottom floor made me halt. I couldn't hear exactly what they said, but some words were as clear as glass. I heard Ava scoff at Jennifer who was on her way out.

"You cunt."

My eyebrows raised at her words and judging by Jennifer's shocked expression she was just as surprised.

"What did you just call me?"

"A cunt, now get the fuck out of here before I beat you the fuck up." Ava gritted.

I had never seen her so mad.

Jennifer left with a huff and the sound of her car driving away in the distance was heard. I met Ava's eyes. She didn't say anything, just turned around and walked out the door. I hurried after her, I didn't even notice the pouring rain.

"Ava!" I yelled, she just kept walking.

I caught up to her just before she got to her car. With a grip on her arm, I turned her around. She looked upset.

"What was she doing here?" Her voice was hoarse.

"Nothing happened, she just tried to get me to sleep with her."

She was quiet, just gazing at me, the rain wetting her hair and making her thin dress stick to her body.

"Did you? You did, didn't you." The words came out carefully.

My brows scrunched together and I took a hold of her face.

"Of course not, I would never do that to you."

"Don't lie to me, James." Her voice was raised.

She backed away from my touch. I became confused, since when doesn't she trust me?

"I'm not lying to you, Ava." My voice was raised too, the sound of the rain hitting the ground deafening our voices.

She scoffed, moving her eyes away from my face, and hugging her own body.

"My mom was right, you're just a player." She mumbled.

My eyebrows furrowed. What? I stepped closer and took a hold of her waist.

"That's not true, not anymore at least."

Her eyes reddened, but I couldn't tell if it was tears that ran down her cheeks or raindrops.

"I can't do this James,"

"What do you mean?"

"I can't be with you if I can't trust you."

"Of course you can trust me, I'm telling the truth, Ava."

My fingers tangled in her wet hair.

"I can't do this." She repeated, the sound of her voice breaking made my chest clench.

"Don't leave me, promise me you won't leave me." The words were a breathless, shaky whisper.

She bit her lip, and her beautiful eyes looked up at me. For a second I thought that she would say that she wouldn't, that we could go back to what we had, that our relationship was strong enough. That she trusted me.

But for the first time in my life, I experienced how it was to get your heart ripped right out of your chest.

"I can't."

I swallowed the lump in my throat, and she tried to wriggle out of my hold. My brows knitted together.

"Ava, please."

"Let me go,"

My grip around her body tightened, but she didn't give in.

"Ava, stop acting like a fucking child and let us talk about this."

I couldn't stop the words from coming out of my mouth, and regretted them the second they did.

Her body froze and her eyes darted to meet mine. She exhaled sharply.

"If I'm such a child then you know what?" She successfully got out of my hold. "You can go fuck that stupid slut all you want."

Before I could stop her she was in her car, driving away from me, leaving me standing in the rain, filled with guilt and regret.

I can't believe I managed to fuck this up.

-

I stood out in the rain for what must have been an hour, just looking at the gates where she left, trying to understand what happened. I could still feel the warmth of her skin on my fingertips.

I snapped out of my gaze when someone grabbed my arm. When I looked over my shoulder Alesso looked at me with a confused expression.

"What the hell are you doing out here?"

I turned to him.

"She left."

His forehead scrunched together before he understood what I meant. He sighed and lead me inside.

"I'm sorry, Nicco. But maybe it was for the best."

I sat down on the kitchen chair and narrowed my eyes at him where he stood in front of me.

"For the best? That I lost her? She was the best for me, not the fact that she left." My gaze lowered to the floor, and I made a decision."I'm going after her."

I stood up in a quick motion and quickly grabbed my car keys. Alesso followed me as I walked out the door.

"The hell you are, just leave her alone, she just needs space."

I opened my car door and turned to him.

"I don't give a fuck."

I drove as fast as I could to her house, the only thing on my mind was to make up for what I did and said.

When I got to her house I walked out but stopped in my tracks when I raised my gaze. There she was, finding comfort in another guy's embrace. I recognized him from that day in the pool. My jaw clenched, I wanted to walk up to her, tell her how I felt, tell her that I didn't mean what I said. But maybe my brother was right, maybe I just needed to give her space. So I did the last thing I wanted, I turned around and walked away.

-

Comment and vote!