Jacob's idea

Carlisle turned to the door. Edward got outside, Rose right after him.

"Carlisle," Edward murmured.

"What is it, Edward?"

"Perhaps we've been going about this the wrong way. I was listening to you and Jacob just now, and when you were speaking of what the... fetus wants, Jacob had an interesting thought." Edward said. "We haven't actually addressed that angle. We've been trying to get Bella what she needs. And her body is accepting it about as well as one of ours would. Perhaps we should address the needs of the... fetus first."

"I'm not following you, Edward," Carlisle said.

"Think about it, Carlisle. If that creature is more vampire than human, can't you guess what it craves—what it's not getting? Jacob did."

"Oh. You think it is... thirsty?" Carlisle asked.

Rose's face was lit up, and her eyes were wide with excitement.

"Of course," she muttered. "Carlisle, we have all that type O negative laid aside for Bella. It's a good idea," she added.

"Hmmm. I wonder... And then, what would be the best way to administer..." Carlisle was lost in thought.

"We don't have time to be creative. I'd say we should start with the traditional way." Rose shook her head.

"Wait a minute," Jake whispered. "Are you—are you talking about making Bella drink blood?"

"It was your idea, dog," Rose said, without looking at Jake.

"That's just..." Carlisle started saying it.

"Repulsive?" I suggested.

"Monstrous?" Edward suggested.

"Pretty much." Carlisle said. "But what if it helps her?"

"What are you gonna do, shove a tube down her throat?" Jake said.

"I plan to ask her what she thinks. I just wanted to run it past Carlisle first." Edward said.

Rose nodded. "If you tell her it might help the baby, she'll be willing to do anything. Even if we do have to feed them through a tube."

We were all in silence for a few minutes.

"Well, we don't have time to sit around discussing this. What do you think, Carlisle? Can we try?" Rose said impatiently.

Carlisle took a breath. "We'll ask Bella."

We all went to the living room, where Bella and Esme were.

"What's going on?" Bella whispered.

"Jacob had an idea that might help you," Carlisle spoke. "It won't be... pleasant, but—"

"But it will help the baby," Rose interrupted eagerly. "We've thought of a better way to feed him. Maybe."

"Not pleasant?" Bella whispered. "Gosh, that'll be such a change."

Edward got closer to Bella and took her hand.

"Bella, love, we're going to ask you to do something monstrous,"

"Repulsive." I finished for him.

"How bad?"

"We think the fetus might have an appetite closer to ours than to yours. We think it's thirsty." Carlisle said.

"Oh. Oh..."

"Your condition—both of your conditions—are deteriorating rapidly. We don't have time to waste, to come up with more palatable ways to do this. The fastest way to test the theory—"