Jake vs Rose

We were in the living room when Jake came ithrough the front door. He stayed by the entrance.

"She's all right, Jake." I spoke.

"Or, the same, You should say." Edward said.

Edward was on the couch, he didn't even look up to speak. Esme was by his side, her arm wrapped tight around his shoulders.

"Hello, Jacob," she spoke. "I'm so glad you came back."

"Me, too," Alice and I said at the same time.

Alice came prancing down the stairs and went to Jake.

"Uh, hey," Jake said. "Where's Bella?"

"Bathroom," Alice told him. "Mostly fluid diet, you know. Plus, the whole pregnancy thing does that to you, I hear."

"Ah."

"Oh, wonderful," Rose grumbled behind Jake. "I knew I smelled something nasty."

Bella's face lit up when she saw Jake.

"Jacob," she breathed. "You came."

"Hi, Bells."

Esme and Edward both got up so Bella could sit. Rose carefully laid Bella out on the couch.

"Are you cold?" I asked her when I noticed she was shrunken.

"I'm fine."

"Bella, you know what Carlisle told you," Rose said. "Don't downplay anything. It doesn't help us take care of either of you."

"Okay, I'm a little cold. Edward, can you hand me that blanket?"

Jake rolled his eyes. "Isn't that sort of the point of me being here?"

"You just walked in," Bella said. "After running all day, I'd bet. Put your feet up for a minute. I'll probably warm up again in no time."

He ignored her and went to sit on the floor next to the couch.

"Thanks, Jake,"

"Yeah," he said.

Edward sat on the arm of the couch by Bella's feet.

"Rosalie, why don't you get Jacob something from the kitchen?" Alice spoke, she was now sat beside me on the other couch.

"Thanks, anyway, Alice, but I don't think I'd want to eat something Blondie's spit in. I'd bet my system wouldn't take too kindly to venom." Jake said.

"Rosalie would never embarrass Esme by displaying such a lack of hospitality." Alice said.

"Of course not," Rose said in a sugar-sweet voice.

Rose went to the kitchen.

"You'd tell me if she poisoned it, right?" Jake asked me.

"Yes," I promised.

After a few seconds Rose came back holding a bowl and handed it to Jake.

"Enjoy, mongrel,"

"Thanks, Blondie."

She snorted.

"Hey, do you know what you call a blonde with a brain? A golden retriever."

I faced Jake, I was also a blonde.

"I've heard that one, too," she said.

"I'll keep trying," Jake said.

He was finishing eating when Bella started touching his hair.