time away/ oliver

Oliver was away, again, for something connected with work. He loved to travel a lot and I was happy for him that he got to visit so many places and make people happy by being there, but I couldn't help but miss him a lot when he was gone. And for me was one thing, but for our little daughter it was another, since she was so used to having her father around, giving her all his attention and love. She wanted him and only him. When I offered to do something that was his thing, she declined, because I wasn't Oliver. Of course, we had our things we did as girls, but nothing could replace her time and activities with her daddy and it broke my heart. She would cry that she wants to see him and whenever he was free, we face timed, but we couldn't do that always, because he was busy most of the time.

She loved to plan how to surprise him when he came back and I happily helped her draw pictures or make bracelets. Together we had made matching bracelets for her, Oliver and me and he wore his all the time, not taking it off even while he showered. It was so adorable.

When it came time for bed I put my little one to sleep in her bed and tucked her in her blanket, giving her a kiss goodnight. I went to bed as well and took the picture of Oliver on my nightstand to look at. He was so handsome – that day we had gone hiking and he posed for me to take a picture. It was before our daughter was born when it was just the two of us. Looking at him and his beautiful face, my hand slowly slid down my stomach and in my pajama pants, but before I could continue I heard the door open and our daughter came into our bedroom all teared up, bringing her teddy bear and blanket with her.

I left the picture on the bed and went to hug her immediately. I picked her up and put her in my lap as I sat on the bed.

- What's wrong, baby? – I asked, wiping away her tears.

- I miss daddy.

- Oh, baby. Daddy's gonna come home in a few days, don't worry!

- I want daddy.

- Come lay with mummy, we'll sleep together, bug. Mummy's gonna cuddle you and you'll stop crying, yeah?

She nodded in response and went under the quilt. She noticed the picture frame and flipped it around, seeing that it was a picture of Ollie. She gasped and stared at it like she had never seen it before.

- Mummy, do you miss daddy too?

- I do, sweetheart. But he's gonna be home very soon.

I sat next to her and watched as she was staring at the picture, her little fingers tracing over the glass.

- Daddy's very handsome here, isn't he? – I asked her with a smile.

- He is very pretty! – she exclaimed and gulped, her little lips forming into a line. They were just like Oliver's.

- Me and daddy went in the mountain that day.

- I don't remember – she said and I chuckled, stroking her hair lovingly.

- That's because you weren't born yet, bug.

She smiled and I took the picture and put it back on my nightstand. After switching off the lights I climbed into bed and spooned her as she was hugging her teddy bear.

- I love you, bug.

- I love you too, mummy.

The next day we painted some gypsum figures and baked some cookies and without realizing the day had almost come to its end. In the afternoon we were watching a movie when I heard the door unlock and I wondered what was happening when I saw Oliver coming in. He hadn't told me he was going to come home earlier, so it was a pure surprise. I went to him and hugged him tightly, kissing him passionately. He returned the hug and the kiss even more passionately. Our little one saw him and ran to him, screaming from happiness.

- Daddy, daddy, daddy!

- Where's my little princess? – he exclaimed and picked her up, planting a million kisses on her face. She giggled and wrapped her little arms around his neck. She didn't want to let go of him even for him to take off his jacket.

He went to the sofa and sat on it, still holding her close. Her smile of content was priceless as she had rested her head on his chest and closed her eyes. He was caressing her hair and kissing the top of her head repeatedly.

- Do you want to see what daddy brought you? – he asked her and she beamed with happiness.

- Yes, yes, yes!

- Let me show you.

He put her down and opened his suitcase to pull out one big plush puppy that was bigger than our daughter. Her eyes widened when she saw it and went to hug it with her small hands. She was happy to the moon and back. As she was giving all her love and attention to her new toy, Oliver pulled out a small box and gave it to me.

- And for mummy...

- You shouldn't have! I love you! – I kissed him and opened it. Inside were a pair of earrings with two beautiful diamonds, very soft-looking and beautiful. I put them on in front of him and he grinned widely.

- I want you see you in just these tonight – he muttered to my ear, making me blush.

We had dinner and after that we watched some tv on the sofa. Our little bug fell asleep on Oliver's chest and he stood up to take her to her bed. She opened her eyes slightly and mumbled sleepily:

- Daddy, can you sleep with me tonight? – she asked with her baby voice.

Oliver looked at me helplessly and I smiled at him, telling him it was all alright. We had more than one night to catch up and she really missed him while he was gone.

- Of course, bug.

After I was done with my nighttime routine I peeked into my daughter's bedroom to see her almost asleep as Oliver was reading her a story. I went to them and kissed each goodnight.

- Tomorrow, wifey – Ollie whispered in my ear and I smiled, stroking his cheek.

- Goodnight, my loves.