Chapter XXXVIII - It Was Simple

"I'm gonna go check on Wanda, okay?" Steve gently pulled Lizzie's hair back from her face and pulled a bobble from his pocket, deftly tying her hair into a messy knot on her head before placing a soft kiss on her forehead.

"Thank you Steve," Elizabeth scrunched her nose as she smiled, she was tired still and appreciated the way Steve anticipated her needs in moments like this. It struck her that she didn't tell him she appreciated him enough.

"Just call if you need me, okay?"

"Okay." She watched Pietro's chest rise and fall in deep even breaths as Steve left her alone in the dim light of the flickering bulbs overhead. Her eyes travelled up to his frown, his mouth hanging open slightly as he sucked in the air around him, and she found herself leaning closer.

His confidence made him look older, more commanding. Laying here now, so peaceful and unaware of the pressures of the world around him she could see his age for the first time. He was a little younger than her, no older than twenty-two, aged by the world around him, but still young. His skin was soft and smooth and her eyes traced the shadows that clung to him. His jaw was chiseled and strong and even in this state of rest it jutted up in a cocky display of nonchalance. Lizzie sighed as she took him in. She reached over to his chart and scanned the lines of scribbled notes for an indication of his condition.

The bullets had missed all vital organs, but one had lodged in his ribs. Surgery had been performed to remove it and he had needed a unit of blood to replace what he'd lost as he had bled out beside her on the streets of Sokovia. She felt the sting of guilt as she looked at the boy beside her. The boy she had tried to save.

"Come on Speedy," she placed the chart on the side and gently took hold of Pietro's hand, squeezing it slightly, hoping he'd feel less alone in the void in his mind. "You didn't save me just for me to lose you." She brushed away the prickle of tears as she stared down at their hands, feeling lost and guilty and alone.

"No," the soft chuckle mingling with the thick sound of sleep and a heavy accent made Elizabeth's heart thud against her ribcage. "That would have been stupid." Pietro squeezed her hand as he slowly opened his eyes to see her staring up at him, eyes streaming and a giant smile across her face. "Have you been crying Princeska?"

"You're awake! Oh thank God." Elizabeth laughed as she tried to stand, her hand still holding his. "I should get someone. Wanda -"

"Or you could stay?" Pietro's voice was soft and calm and Elizabeth sat back down, finding relief in the way his lips fell into a natural grin.. "You know, you're not the worst person to wake up to." He winked as she blushed, looking down at their hands again.

*

Bucky stood silently in the hallway, watching through the window as she sifted through the notes he would never make sense of, chewing on her bottom lip as she searched the words for signs of distress or worry. He could see the exhaustion in her eyes, the way she tilted her head to the left ever so slightly and closed her eyes to take in a deep breath between each painful moment.

He watched as she closed the chart and slipped it onto the table, as she slipped her hand over Pietro's and squeezed gently, as she brushed away her tears.

As she spoke to Pietro Bucky felt his world shifting around him, leaving him standing out of place, out of time.

He swallowed his pain and took a step into the doorway, clearing his throat as Pietro winked and his Lizzie blushed. Her eyes snapped up to his and he watched her quickly pull her hand back to her lap.

"Hey," Bucky mumbled as he looked between the two of them and disappointment rolled in, "I just -" He looked down at the floor, unable to look into her eyes. "Are you okay?"