Chapter 34

Before Elle knew it, she was back on the train going to Hogwarts, curled up in Fred's arms as she caught up with all of her friends on the Hogwarts Express. She had finally reunited with Luke and Olivia who she hadn't been able to see all summer, and she realized how badly she had missed them... and how close they have gotten.

"So what did you two get up to this summer?" Fred asked Luke and Olivia.

"We hung out a lot. Liv's parents worked a ton so we were able to just hang around and go to the beach a lot." Luke said, not so subtly wrapping an arm around Olivia's shoulders.

"The beach? What beach?" Jackson asked.

"Liv has a beach at the back of her house." Luke told them as Elle nodded, a small smirk growing on her face.

"Luke, I've been meaning to ask, why didn't you end up going to the world cup?" Elle asked him.

"I mean, you dodged a bullet but we were expecting you there." Jackson laughed.

"Oh, yeah my Dad and I were supposed to go but he had to work and Liv's family brought me with them on vacation." Luke told them.

"Interesting..." George said with a big smirk on his face.

"Where'd you guys go?" Elle asked.

"Florida, it was nice and hot." Olivia said, the tan glowing on her skin.

"Seems like you two spent a lot of time together...." Jackson teased the new couple as their faces went a tad red.

"We did." Luke nodded.

"So did these two, every day." George said, pointing to Elle and Fred with a laugh.

"You two were there too!" Elle argued to George and Jackson.

"Fair." Jackson nodded as the trolley came by.

"Anything from the trolley dears?"

"Oh yeah! Hold on please!" Jackson called out, digging through his backpack for all the galleons Ben and Mary gave him, his face lighting up like a kid in a candy store as the rest of his friends laughed.

//

Once they were all back in the great hall, Dumbledore had started his speech by sharing the rules and rambling on before he started to say something actually interesting.

"All right now students! I have some good news and bad news to share with you. For starters, there will be no quidditch cup this year." Dumbledore said as everyone started yelling out in protest.

"This is bullshit!" Ell heard Oliver Wood yell, knowing he is very passionate about the game.

"Enough!" Dumbledore yelled out before continuing. "However, we will still have games as more of a fun way to let out stress instead of a major competition. Every winner from each game will be awarded house points. Anyways, this is due to an event that will begin this week actually, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up much of the teacher's time and energy but I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts-"

But at that moment, there was a deafening rumble of thunder, and the doors of the Great Hall banged open. A man stood in the doorway, leaning upon a long staff, shrouded in a black traveling cloak. Every head in the Great Hall swiveled towards the stranger, suddenly brightly illuminated by a fork of lightning that flashed across the ceiling. He lowered his hood, shook out a long mane of grizzled, dark grey hair, and then began to walk up towards the teacher's table.

A dull clunk echoed through the Hall on his every other step. He reached the end of the top table, turned right, and limped heavily towards Dumbledore. Another flash of lightning crossed the ceiling.