Kai Parker Angst - The Rebound

Word Count- 2,524

Summary- You started dating Kai after him and Bonnie broke up, and he's constantly comparing you to her: During conversations, fights, and even in intimate moments when he's kissing you or cuddling with you. You knew he was trying to get over her, but when he told you he loved you even though he acted as if you were a replacement for Bonnie, you snapped.

It started the week after you had gotten together- a meaningless comment.

You were walking down the street, holding hands with your boyfriend, Kai Parker. He had gotten dumped by Bonnie a few weeks before the two of you had gotten together, and that had scared you, but Kai assured you he was over her and liked you very much.

"This is nice," You sigh, smiling at your boyfriend, who was smiling at you.

"You know, Bonnie never let me hold her hand in public," He laughed, looking like he was reminiscing for a moment before he snapped out of it, giving you a tight smile.

You hadn't thought much of it. It had been an innocent comment... right?

"You have the softest stomach," Kai whispered as he kissed your belly. You smiled, sighing in contentment until you heard him say, "Just like Bonnie's."

You shut your eyes and opened them.

Had he really just said that?

You had decided to brush it off. I mean, it's normal to still think about your ex... right?

The Salvatore's had thrown one of their famous parties. You and Kai had gone together, but he had disappeared the whole night. You couldn't find him anywhere.

And then you spotted him. He was next to Bonnie, and they were laughing about something. Your eyes started to well up. He wasn't even aware that his girlfriend was standing barely ten feet away from him. You walked straight up to him, and it took a tap on his shoulder to finally even acknowledge your presence.

"Oh! Y/N, I didn't see you th-"

"I want to go home," You cut him off and walked towards the door. Kai sighed and kissed Bonnie on the cheek to say goodbye. Of course, you hadn't seen that. He followed after you, hands in his pockets, contemplating on what to say to you.

You were already in the car once he got in the driver's seat. He started the car, and you turned your head to face the window.

"So, uh, nice party," Kai noted after about ten minutes of silence.

"Yup," You mumbled.

Kai's words jumbled in his head while he tried to think about what to say to you. Instead, he opted for reaching over the console and grabbing your hand, making you flinch. You sighed as he tightened his grip on your hand.

"Kai," You said, grabbing his attention. "I can't- I can't be with you if you're still in love with her."

"I'm not!" He was suddenly defensive.

"Kai, I see the way you look at her. You've never looked at me like that," You said, trying to keep your voice strong. You took your hand out of his grip, but he grunted and took it back, securing it in his.

"You must be going insane, Y/N." He shook his head. The only thing to say to fix this popped into his mind, and he blurted out, "I love you."

Your eyes widened, and a small smile appeared on your face.

"You- You do?" You asked- shocked.