eleven

Sadie stared at me in awe.  

"Don't get me wrong, rumor has it he'll sleep with anyone, but I didn't think you'd actually do it."

"Sadie, I didn't sleep with him.  We just made out," I clarified the rumor that has been going around.

Since we both got back to the room, that's all she'd been talking bout.  Well, that and the boy she was "halfway kind of" talking to.

The day was almost over so we decided to just lay on our beds.  In order to keep Monroe up to date with everything, we texted her nightly in our group chat.  She always seemed interested in what happened during our day, since nothing really happens during hers.  

Eventually, we FaceTimed her so we could talk to each other easier.  She told me and Sadie what happened during her day and how she might go visit family over the summer.  She never really gets to see them that often.  Her parents' views on education are so skewed, I didn't understand how Monroe is okay with it. 

We ended the call and sat there in silence.  As we sat there, I remembered that I didn't get to tell Sadie about what I saw Marcus doing earlier.  I quickly explained the short incident as I showed her the ID I had picked up.

"Call the office.  Maybe you can find her room number," she smiled mischievously.

"They're not just going around handing out room numbers, Sadie," I said, confused as to why she would even suggest anything that stupid.

She rolled her eyes and held her hand out for the card.  I handed it to her and waited as she picked up the room phone.  

"Hi! I'm really sorry to bother you this late, but I forgot my room number.  I'm in a friend's room but I cannot seem to remember my own! Would you mind telling me?"

She gave a mischievous smirk as she listened to the person on the other end.

"Oh, of course! Margarine Lancaster.  The room should be under 'Lancaster Family'.  It's a school function."

Wow, she was good at this.  

"Thank you so much, you're a peach!" she added before hanging up.

Sadie was probably the best at lying.  I mean, everything I know about it, I learned from her.

"146."

"Let's go," I smiled at her before standing up.

I didn't know what we had in mind, but it wouldn't be that much.  After all, Marcus meant nothing to me. 

After a few minutes of walking, we finally reached the room.  146.

I looked at Sadie just to make sure we were doing this.  She gave me a nod and I knocked lightly on the door.  

A man opened the door, probably her father.

"Is Margarine here?" I asked and he nodded his head.

He walked away before calling her over.

"You dropped your ID," Sadie said as she reached us, leaving the rest of the talking to me.

I handed her the card and she looked at it with a smile. 

This is what Marcus liked.   He liked girls like Margarine Lancaster. 

"Thank you guys so much!" she smiled widely.

She had a southern accent, but it wasn't too noticeable.    She immediately reached in for a hug.

Sadie and I made eye contact, startled at her choice of repayment. 

"You know, you guys are probably the first girls I've really talked to here.  All the other girls look at me like I'm ruining their lives!" she laughed it off, though I'm sure it really hurt her.

To be honest, I've never seen her before.  I didn't think Sadie has either.

"Maybe it's because you're off kissing their boyfriends," Sadie said harshly.  

"He wasn't my boyfriend," I said, annoyed that that's what she considered us.

"Oh, you and Marcus?" she asked nervously.

I only nodded.  

Why was I so mad?  I didn't even like him.

"I am so sorry. I swear he didn't tell me. I will stop talking to him, though," she apologized.

"Then our job here is done," Sadie smiled before grabbing my hand and dragging me off. 

"Wait!" she yelled, stopped us a few feet away from her, "What are your guys' names?"

Sadie and I looked at each other to decide if we should share that top-secret information.  A few seconds into our discussion, we decided to reveal ourselves.

"Aylin."

"Sadie."

In that moment, for some reason, Margarine looked happy.  Happier than when we first handed her the card.

I didn't know what she was thinking, but it was creepy.  Sadie and I walked back to our room, talking about our encounter.  The conversation wasn't that deep, so we dropped it the second we walked into the room. We almost immediately threw ourselves on our beds before drifting off to sleep.    

The next morning, I woke up to Sadie jumping on me.   

"Wake up, Sleepyhead! We've got to get breakfast," she yelled as she shook me. 

I groaned and sat up, leaving her to get off of me. I assumed she already showered as she already finished getting ready for the day.  

I got up and ran to the restroom to shower as quickly as I could.  As I neared the end of my shower time, Sadie started to bang on the door. 

"Come on! Breakfast time ends soon!"  

I took that as my cue to finish what I was doing and get out of the shower.  I hurriedly got ready, managing only to take a few minutes.

Sadie and I walked out of the room, my hair still wet, and toward the cafeteria.  The room was decently full, so we grabbed food and sat at a table that was mostly empty.  There was an old couple at the other end, but they didn't bother us. 

We began to eat our food but were interrupted by someone sitting across from us. 

"Hi, I know we got off on the wrong foot but I want to make things right," Margarine smiled at us as she set her tray in front of her.

Sadie looked at me and we looked back at Margarine.

"Okay, Margarine," I began as her smile somehow widened, "What's the plan?"

She smiled devilishly at Sadie and me. 

"We get him back.  How?  Pretend you don't know about him and me.  I'll handle it from there.  I mean, he's gotta be shaken up just seeing us together, right?" 

I looked up and around the room. My eyes stopped on Marcus who was staring at us with wide eyes.  The second we made eye contact, he looked away. 

"Yeah," I leaned back in my chair.

I didn't know what this girl had planned, but it seemed to already be working.