7.1

"You ever feel like you missed your calling, Cap?" Chimney asked Bobby as he slid a beautifully stuffed omelet in front of him. Jane sat next to him, two chairs down, already halfway through hers, enjoying the gooey cheese, sausage, mushroom, and onion concoction. In the center of their breakfast table were strawberry cream cheese and banana chocolate chip muffins that Jane had brought in. Their shift had just started, but they were already halfway gone.

Hen was standing next to Bobby, with her own plate out as he cooked her omelet.

"What do you think? Michelin-rated restaurant or short order cook?" Bobby asked Chimney dryly. Jane looked up from her food, and smiled widely at him.

"Either. Both," was her answer, but Chimney was on a whole other level.

"I was thinking TV Chef. I mean, what you do, it's like performance art."

"Mm-hmm, and much like watching cooking on TV we never get to taste anything," Hen inserted, eyeing the pan with her breakfast anxiously. "Usually by the time it hits the table the bell goes off."

"Shhh," Jane whispered harshly at her friend, her arms going protectively around what remained of her food. "Don't jinx it. This is the first full breakfast I've had in months."

"Alright, speed round. If you weren't doing this, what would you be doing?" Bobby asked the table.

Without thinking Jane responded, before even Chimney could come back with a sassy retort.

"Fire Marshall Investigator or Homicide Detective." They all turned to her with wide eyes, and she just shrugged lightly, not wanting to get into it. "I like solving mysteries."

Chimney didn't need long for his response either. "Fighter pilot. Topgun. Call sign: Shogun." Jane smiled at the movie reference and she and Chimney shared an amused look from across the table.

"What about you Hen?" Bobby asked lightly, as he dished her omelet, and she went cheerfully to sit at the table.

"Editorial cartoonist, The New Yorker," she responded, with a wave of her fork. When Bobby, Jane, and Chimney gave each other shocked looks, she felt the need to follow up with, "I have a lot to say."

"You draw?" the captain inquired, basically saying what they were all thinking. They'd never even seen the woman doodle.

"No," her retort was quick, causing Jane to let out a snort, "it's a dream. It's not supposed to be attainable." Then she turned to Jane, "Although some people here could be moving that way, and Topgun? You can barely drive, you rebar head."

"Hey," Chimney whined. Then Buck came up from behind them and grabbed one of the strawberry muffins. "Buckaroo, if you were not a member of the LAFD, what would you be doing?"

The poor boy looked confused. "I, uhh, I don't know. I'm not getting fired, am I?"

"That's inevitable." Jane let out another choked laugh at Chimney's retort.

"He'd be a golden retriever," was Hen's assertion.

"No, a bartender," Chim corrected. "No, no, no. A bouncer at a bar."

"No, a bouncer at a strip club," the female EMT laughed.

Buck just ignored them and went to sit down on Jane's other side.

"What's going on with you kid?" Bobby looked at him. That's what she loved about Bobby, he always wanted to make sure that his team was alright. Always.