Chapter 36 - Farewell

It wasn't long before guests filled the house. It seemed like everyone with whom I'd ever had any kind of connection came to wish me farewell. That got me emotional. To think that any of them cared enough to show up for me.

Although not everyone was there for me. Mr. Hill's appearance surprised me more than anyone. I invited Derek's parents, but I really didn't expect them to come. Mrs. Hill was not with him, though.

Mr. Hill found Derek and pulled him off to the side.

I wanted to pay attention in case Derek needed an escape strategy. But Mr. and Mrs. Meeks found me, and I couldn't be rude to them. Mrs. Meeks held a Tupperware container filled with my favorite cookies. "I made these with extra chocolate chips, just like you like them." She gave me a hug. "I'm going to miss you, sweetheart."

I pulled away and looked between them. "I'll miss you both so much. You guys have been like my own grandparents."

"We feel the same way." Mrs. Meeks rubbed my cheek. "You're so grown up."

Mr. Meeks reached into his coat and pulled out an envelope. "That's for you."

I pushed at his hand, trying to refuse it, shaking my head. "You don't have to give me anything."

"It's for an emergency fund. Never know what you'll run into in a new place."

"I can't accept that."

"Just think of it as severance pay." Mr. Meeks put the envelope into my hand and folded my fingers over it. "You've been the best employee we could've asked for, Steven. I doubt we'll find another like you."

"Thank you." I hugged them both, trying not to cry.

Once I got away, I checked on Derek. Things with his dad seemed to be winding down. Derek smiled, nodded, and hugged his father. Now that really made me want to cry.

Mr. Hill left as soon as he and Derek parted. Derek rushed over to me and threw his arms around me, squeezing way too tight. "Your plan worked."

He lost me with that. I pulled back to look him in the eye. "What plan?"

"Last night, I told my dad that if I didn't see progress in my music career in a year's time, I'd go back and finish school. I didn't mean a word of it, obviously, but it got to him. He said he was proud of me for being pragmatic about this. And he agreed that this was a fantastic opportunity. He even told me I'm a good singer and I show promise, which he's never done before."

"That's amazing, D." I said. "Do you think your mom will ever come around?"

"Maybe after my first album goes platinum."

"I mean, how could it not? With a name like Roadkill On The Mind. That just screams instant hit-makers."

Derek slugged my chest. "Now you're just being a dick."

"I'm just keeping you humble." I clapped a hand on his shoulder. "Your ego is already out of hand. Somebody's gotta make sure you stay grounded. Who better than your best friend?"

"I think this calls for a celebration."

"Isn't that what this is?" I waved my hand around the room.

"I was thinking more along the lines of me and Brittany back at her place sans clothing. Do you mind if I cut out early?"

"Go ahead." I hugged him. "I'm really happy for you."

"I'm happy for you, too, dude. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy."

"Back at ya."

After Derek ran off, Michael and Terrence approached me. They each offered me a hug.