34.

Randy kicked around the dirt and found himself the perfect rock. As soon as that dog came sniffing around, he was going to throw it as hard as he could and he just knew he was going to hit it.

"The damn thing will be sorry for eatin' my cat." He mumbled under my breath.

"I know you ain't cussing!"

Randy jumped and whirled around to face his father, Gary.

Gary snorted real loud and spit on the ground close to his boy. He eyed his nine year old, who looked to him with surprise. "Didn't think I was home, did ya?"

"No sir." Randy said, shaking his head. His voice broke a little with fright. "I did not." He held his hands behind his back and passed the rock from one palm to another.

"What cha doin'?"

Randy looked to the toe of his boot. It had a hole at the very top. He could see his sock, which had a slightly smaller hole in the same place. He wiggled his toe.

"Answer me boy."

"I... Imma waitn' for that hound dog to come back. The one that ate ma cat." He said quietly and showed his father the rock he held. "I plan on wallapin' him with this."

Gary scratched his head. "Well I hope you get 'em." He looked around awkwardly. "Aye, so you know that woman I brought around? The one that works at the titty bar in Asheville?"

Randy thought for a moment. His dad brought a lot of women around. He enjoyed it when his dad brought him to the titty bar. The women didn't have shirts on and barely any pants. But they were always nice to him. He enjoyed the hot food. His dad never cooked, so when he ate, it was from a can and it was cold. The microwave was broken and he wasn't allowed to use the stove.

Gary grew impatient as his son thought. "Her name is Maggie? Long brown hair? Half Mexican son? John? You remember John. He played with you that one time outside the bar."

"Oh yeah. I remember." Maggie had pinched his cheek and John gave him his first sip of beer. They were the same age, except John was a few months younger. 

He didn't recall seeing them anymore after that and didn't know what his daddy wanted him to say.

"His daddy is in prison and Maggie has fallen on hard times-"

Randy half listened to Gary go on about Maggie. He thought she made his dad look old. She looked young anyways.

"Do you understand me?"

Randy shook his head and looked to his dad wide eyed. "Do what sir?"

Gary let out an exasperated sigh. "Were you not listening boy?" He kneeled down and put a hand on the boy's shoulder. "I'm gonna marry Maggie and adopt John as my son. You are going to have a brother and a mama."

"I don't want another mama. I want my mama." Randy had tried to say it tough, but his voice squeaked out as he tried to keep his tears from falling.

"Your mama is dead and gone. She ain't coming back and I'm tired of hearing about it. I don't want to be woke up no more during the night, especially not if I have a woman by my side." Gary gave his son a hard pat. "Now shut up, get your ball sack situated, and come on. We gotta go to the court house. Maggie and John are waiting." 

~~~~~

Randy was sick of having to share his room with John. He stomped out of the house, but made sure the storm door didn't slam. If John tattled on him, his daddy would beat his hide until there was nothing but blood.