Chapter 42

-Emma POV-

Christmas was coming up.
"Darling, what is this tree doing in our house?" asked Jasper.
Lexa was sitting at the tree, looking at how I was decorating it.

"It's almost Christmas!" I said, pretending to be hurt. "Don't tell me you forgot that this will be our first Christmas in our home and with Lexa"
"I wouldn't dream of it" he smiled.

"Good. Then help me decorate it, Cowboy" I smiled.
"You're serious about this?" he asked.
"Dead serious!" I said. "Now, come on, pass me the lights"

~

On Christmas, the snow sticked...
Renesmee spent Christmas at Charlie's together with her parents and Jacob.
"Everything will be fine" said Jasper when he saw me looking out of the window.

I quickly dried a tear that had fallen down my cheek, I still couldn't sense whether Jasper was going to die tomorrow or not... his future was still unclear... undecided...
"Jasper is right, Emma" said Charlotte and she laid her hand on my shoulder. "We will convince them. There won't be a fight"

"Yeah, have a little faith in us, little Banshee" said Peter.
"You're right" I whispered. "Sorry"

~

We gathered around with all the vampires and made a camp fire.
I had dropped off Lexa with Billy, so she would be looked after if anything would happen to us...
I walked to the tent where Bella and Renesmee were.

"Sorry to interrupt mother-daughter time" I said and Bella smiled.
"I'll be right back, honey. Your Auntie wants to talk to you" she said and left the tent.
"Come here, little one" I said and Renesmee snuggled into my arms. "Renesmee, I want to give you something"

I took out a bracelet that belonged to my mother.
"It's pretty" she said and I smiled.
"This is something very precious to me" I whispered. "It belonged to my mother, so I want you to keep it save for me. Can you do that?"

She nodded and I put the bracelet around her wrist.
"Auntie Emma?" she asked.
"Yes, sweetie?" I asked.

"Will everything be okay, tomorrow?" she asked and I hugged her a little tighter.
"I don't know" I answered honestly. "But I promise you, I will do everything I can to make sure everything will be okay"
She knew what could happen, and she hugged me tighter.

"I don't want to leave you" she said.
"Oh, don't think that" I said and kissed her hair. "I know you're scared, but don't give up hope"
"I won't" she said.

~

After I got out of the tent, Jasper took me in his arms.
"So, what did I miss?" I asked.
"Nothing much" he said. "War stories"

"Oh, great" I said. "And here I thought vampires weren't old fashioned"
He smiled and kissed my forehead.
"After this is all over" he whispered. "Let's get married"
"Sounds lovely" I whispered.

~

We gathered around on the open place in the forest, where the Volturi soon would come.
Jasper and I stood with Charlotte and Peter.
Jasper held my hand tightly.

It calmed me down...
"They're coming" I whispered.
Not long after I had said that, vampires came out of the forest.
"Bloody hell" I whispered.

"Aro's looking for Alice" I heard Edward say.
I noticed Aro looking at me and he smiled.
'That's just disgusting'
The wolves came to us, surprising the vampires.

Carlisle stepped forward.
"Aro, let us discuss things as we used to" he said. "In a civilized manner"
"Fair words, Carlisle" said Aro.

I really had to listen closely, since they stood so far away...
"But a little out of place" he said. "Given the battalion you've assembled against us"
"I can promise you, that was never my intent" said Carlisle. "No laws have been broken"

"We see the child" said Caius. "Do not treat us as fools"
"She is not an Immortal!" shouted Carlisle. "These witnesses can attest to that. Or you can look. See the flush of human blood in her cheeks"

"Artifice!" shouted Caius.
"I will collect every facet of the truth" said Aro. "But from someone more central to the story. Edward, as the child clings to your newborn mate, I assume you are involved. And dear Emma, the Banshee who can sense our kind"

"I'll go with you" whispered Jasper.
"Aunt Emma?" said Renesmee and I touched her head.
"Everything will be fine, little one" I whispered.
I kept holding Jasper's hand as we walked with Edward closer to the Volturi.

"Emma" said Aro. "I see congratulations are in order"
"Let's get this over with" I sighed and held out my hand.
I felt him look in my mind.

"Remarkable, you sense her both death and alive, it confuses even you" he said and let go of my hand.
He grabbed Edwards hand and his smile and excitement grew even bigger.
I stepped closer to Jasper, I didn't like him being so close to the Volturi, not after what I had sensed...

"I'd like to meet her" said Aro.
Jasper wanted to go back, but I wanted to stay, I wasn't going to let my niece face the Volturi unprotected...
Even Jacob and Emmett came with Bella and Renesmee.

"Ah... Young Bella..." said Aro. "Immortality becomes you"
Aro began to laugh and point at Renesmee. "I hear her strange heart"
Renesmee walked closer to Aro.
"Hello, Aro" she said, she ignored his hand and touched his cheek.

She showed him her memories from when she was born.
"Magnifico" said Aro. "Half mortal, half immortal"
"Come here, Ness" I whispered and she grabbed my hand. I saw Bella slightly nod, she knew I was better suited to protect Renesmee, since the vampires couldn't kill me without dying themselves.

"Conceived and carried by this newborn" said Aro. "While she was still human"
"Impossible!" shouted Caius.
"Do you think they fooled me, brother?" asked Aro.

We walked back to the others on the other side.
Renesmee stayed close to her parents and Jacob.
"Bring the informer forward" said Caius and Irina walked to the front.

My eyes began to glow... I could sense her immortal life end soon...
"Is that the child you saw?" asked Caius.
"I'm not sure" said Irina.

"Jane" said Caius.
"She's changed" said Irina before Jane could do anything. "This child is bigger"
"Then your allegations were false" said Caius.

"The Cullens are innocent" she said. "I take full responsibility for my mistake. I'm sorry"
They light a fire and my grip on Jasper's hand tightened.
"Jazz..." I whispered.

"I know" he whispered back.
"Caius no!" shouted Edward.
They ripped off her limbs and her head and set her body on fire.
I felt her die for good...

"Irina!" shouted Kate and Tanya.
They ran forward and we stopped them.
Zaffrina blinded them and Edward calmed them down by talking, and Jasper helped a bit too...

Suddenly, Edward fell down on the ground in pain.
Bella protected us with her shield, I could feel Jane looking at me, I could feel the pain, but it was indeed bearable.

"Aro, you see there's no law broken here" said Carlisle.
"Agreed" said Aro. "But, does it then follow that there is no danger? For the first time in our history human pose a threat to our kind. Their modern technology has given birth to weapons that could destroy us. Maintaining our secret has never been more imperative. In such perilous times, only the known is safe. Only the known is tolerable. And we know nothing of what this child will become. Can we live with such uncertainty? Spare ourselves a fight today, only to die tomorrow"

The people on the other side began to shake their heads.
'What is this? President elections? Jeez, she's a child'
But I sensed 2 people, who got me out of my head.
"Alice and Lewis" I whispered...