17 | Memories

Dear Scorpius,

I have feared that the time for your secrets to be revealed will come sooner than we've hoped. But then again, we are talking about the Golden Trio; they do have a knack for knowing things that they shouldn't.

This is your secret to tell, my dear boy. If you deem it necessary to finally tell them everything, then I am powerless to stop you. I sincerely believed that with their newfound knowledge, the help you desperately needed will finally become realised.

Again, trust is a two-way street. Perhaps, if you trust them with your secret, they can finally trust you and your allegiance.

Sincerely,

Professor Dumbledore

P.S. The attic in Grimmauld Place is a delightful place for lost treasures and unexpectedly helpful things.

Scorpius sighed and daintily folded the parchment. He somehow wasn't surprised this was Dumbledore's response to his letter. He knew that despite asking for his advice, the decision to finally tell the DA Core would still fall onto his shoulders. He was a little confused about the postscript, though, but he didn't dwell on it further.

He didn't come down for dinner despite being invited over by Ron, of all people. Scorpius could see that Ron felt awkward in his presence, undoubtedly still reeling from the event that had happened earlier that day. He was thankful the Gryffindor didn't pester when Scorpius politely declined to go down for dinner.

The Slytherin thought that today would come to an end in total solitude. He was honestly disappointed when Hermione Granger came barging in, her hands placed against her hips and a no-nonsense look on her face.

"Granger..."

"No, Malfoy, enough of your stupid secrets!" she thundered. Scorpius flinched at the tone of her voice. Hermione paused, took a deep breath, and deflated. A new emotion appeared on her face, and Scorpius knew that his resolve was dissolving. "I... well, we need to understand what happened this afternoon."

Scorpius expelled a humongous sigh and gave her a withering look. "Ugh, fine, you've always been too pushy," he pointed out, almost bordering whiny. She cracked a small smile and it made him feel a little better.

He then pushed himself off his bed and grabbed his wand. "Meet me in the attic," he said, remembering Dumbledore's letter. "Go bring the others."

"The attic?" she asked, confused. "Why?"

A wry smile appeared on his face. "I'm honestly not sure, too," he said.

Scorpius didn't wait for more of Hermione's pestering and instead travelled upstairs. He could hear the lull of soft conversations in the living room, the adult members of the Order of the Phoenix lounging around.

He had been in the attic numerous times with Al before. Dumbledore was right when he said that there were a lot of weird things inside. He could remember adventurous days with his best friend, spending the whole day discovering new knick-knacks to tinker with.

The attic wasn't too different from the one he remembered. It was the room his mother hadn't really touched; thus, he wasn't too surprised nothing had changed.

Scorpius was at a loss of what Dumbledore meant when he hinted about finding something in the attic that could help him with his revelation. He mentally cursed the old wizard, thinking that he had no time for his stupid riddles. His nerves were too frazzled for his mind games; he honestly needed some help right now.

"All right, Malfoy, we're here," Granger announced. Behind him were the other suspicious Gryffindors. He breathed a little in relief, seeing that they did not grab any adult Order members to witness his revelation.