15. Day Two of Learning

Eyes wide, I blink at Ray over the staggering stack of French toast and the teetering pile of bacon that is weighing down the Kingsley household's eight-seater dining table

"Ray," I say, slowly, eyeing all the food, as she leisurely eats a piece of bacon, "I'm one person."

"Don't tell me," Ray jabs a thumb in the direction of the kitchen, "Tell my mom. If I were in charge, you'd be eating cereal over the sink."

I slide into a chair opposite Ray, just as her mom brings out a bowl of cut melon. I can hear their chef, Denver, sizzling things in a pan.

"Mrs. Kingsley, this is really too much," I tell her.

She smiles at me and puts down the bowl. I can hear their housekeeper, Mrs. Ellison, cutting more fruit in the kitchen.

"See, Aurora, it's not every day that I have so many people in the house. Jenna and Elliot are usually not around ever at the same time."

"God, Mom, you make it seem like we never come over," Ray says, eating savagely.

"You know what I mean," Mrs. Kingsley tells her daughter and then, smiles warmly at me. "Eat a good breakfast, Aurora. I have no idea what Jenna has planned for you."

"Yeah, mom. I'm going to throw her on a fishing trawler headed to Japan," Ray rolls her eyes, eating another piece of bacon.

"Eat some fruit," Mrs. Kingsley tells pushing the bowl towards her, "You need a balanced diet for human trafficking, too."

Ray viciously stabs a piece of melon with a fork, as Elliot enters the room, filling it with his presence.

He kisses his mother and takes a seat next to me, his cologne infiltrating my nostrils.

"It's a good thing Mom's here," he says, "Or Jenna would be feeding you stale cereal right out of the box."

Ray chucks a napkin at her brother, and narrows her eyes at him. "Be nice to me. You're at my mercy today," she hisses, despite the fact that she had said pretty much exactly that to me a minute ago.

"And why's that?" he asks, passing the bowl of melon to me.

Trying to stamp down my blush, I take it from him.

"The three of us," Ray stabs her fork in my direction, Elliot's and hers, "Are doing wedding work. Rosalie said that it's high time you went for your suit and you need to help with picking cufflinks for the bridesmen. Don't worry. Al has great taste, so it doesn't matter if yours sucks."

"I'm not even a bridesman. You want me picking out their cufflinks?" Elliot asks, taking the bowl of melon that I pass to him, and spooning a few pieces on to his plate.

"You're not a bridesman?" I ask.

Elliot shakes his head and I look to Ray for clarification.

"Eli is giving me away," she explains with a small smile.