Chapter Twenty-Two: The Grief

Chapter Twenty-Two: 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖌𝖗𝖎𝖊𝖋.
word count; 5.5k

"Sta—... buddy."

Those unintelligible  words were much too muffled to understand... Din couldn't— his head was... throbbing so painfully... Something warm and thick and gooey seeped out of the back of his head, and... he was being tugged by someone, too? Somebody, grabbing him from under his arms, was hauling him back into some building, and—

His eyes slipped shut as a void of utter darkness devoured him whole.

And in what seemed like a split second, his eyes snapped open.

But he was struggling to maintain himself awake, from inevitably tumbling into unconsciousness... that was proving nearly impossible with each passing second.

Then he heard that voice again, this time a bit clearer... more comprehensible.

"...we're gonna get you out of here."

That was Cara... right? Was she the one dragging him into... oh, he's in the cantina now.

That blackness swallowed him once more, this time lasting longer than before, until he broke into consciousness again. He couldn't... move. He could only allow the Alderaanian to pull his heavy beskar-clad body further into the partially-damaged cantina.

"This is our only path—"

The voice Din assumed to belong to Greef Karga was abruptly interrupted by something loud outside, something... was that the E-Web? That noise was followed by something else... as if something collided violently against another object... he didn't know.

His disorientation was slowly beginning to vanish, though not entirely. Still, comprehending the chaos surrounding him proved unachievable. His brain was feeling quite... foggy. But now that his mind was somewhat wrapping around everything, he remembered an explosion... and, someone shouting for him...

He barely noticed Karga's figure peeking outside the cantina doors, barely noticed the IG unit had stepped inside along with the Child secure in a bag, nearly failed to realize he was being propped up against something flat and rigid and uncomfortable for his aching back and muscles.

Din was on the verge of unconsciousness again, but he forced himself awake (despite how painful that was) when he heard Karga yelling— calling for someone... Shouting... 

For you.

You were the one who had called his name so desperately, so urgently running towards him before the eruption of the power box managed to nearly kill him.

But you weren't here... you were— you were still out there?

The thumping of Karga's footsteps outside filled Din's ears. He couldn't avert his gaze from the cantina's entrance, in hopes of finding you returning alright from whatever the hell was going on outside...