Chapter 1

That day mom came back from work with takeout food from our favorite Chinese restaurant. When I was heating the food she went out to buy popcorn at the grocery store across the street. It was Friday and according to our tradition, we had to organize the movie night.

After 40 minutes I got concerned so I went downstairs planning to go to the store and see what takes her so long. When I saw the crowd of people, police, paramedics swarming the street in front of our house I didn't instantly assume something bad happened to her.

It couldn't, she was my mom.

But it did.

She was crossing the road on the "walk" signal when the car drove her over. Hit and run.

I haven't seen her dead body it was already in the black plastic bag.

What I saw was grey concrete stained with her blood and broken cellphone, it was hers because it had the plastic case I gave her as a gift for her birthday.

That day was hectic, to say the least. Police found me quickly, my neighbor Tony told him that the victim had a teenage daughter. After that, I went to a police station to confirm my identity and wait for the social service agent to arrive.

A week later I was about to meet with my father. If getting to know his name finally after 16 years wasn't enough news I also was told that I have three older brothers. Charles was 25 and twins - Dan and Max were both 17.

I wish I knew how my life would look like with them maybe I would be less afraid if I had any idea.

Will it be very different from what I knew before?

It was my first time on the plane and I was sitting in a first-class seat. It felt... weird.

I said my goodbyes to miss Johnson when we were approached by a young-looking handsome man right after we arrived at the airport.

The man who showed up introduced himself as Russel Madden. So he wasn't one of my brothers.  My social worker looked like she already knew he would be waiting for us here.

"I will leave Ellie in your capable hands, Mr. Madden"

"Thank you for bringing her to us Ms. Johnson, have a safe flight home"

"Please follow me, Ms. Sullivan"

Ms. Sullivan? Was he referring to me? Of course, he is. That's my surname. I'm an idiot.

"Mr. Madden?"

"Yes?" He asked in a warm voice, he had brown eyes and a small smile on his face.

"Can you call me Ellie?" I requested in a quiet voice.

"Sure, only if you call me Russel"

"Okay Russel" I returned his smile but mine was smaller. I don't think I smiled since mom died, it was weird, I had to force it the pain after her loss was still fresh.

As we went towards the parking lot I couldn't help but stare at the impressive black vehicle.

"Wow" I blushed at my embarrassing reaction but Russel grinned at me.

"Pretty cool machine, isn't it?" He pointed at the car that looked like a brand new model. I didn't know much about cars but this one looked really impressive. As we sat down the leather smell entered my nostrils.

"You're probably wondering why am I here" Russel started as we were on the road. "I was hired by your father to work as your driver. Because he's often busy with work I will be taking you to school and picking you up after classes. I will be also available if you need to be somewhere outside of the house, shopping, or visiting a friend's house. The house is situated at the outskirts of the city so you won't be able to get to many places on feet, as long as Dan, Max, and Charles and unavailable I am at your service"

"Okay, I understand," I said tiredly, although I didn't understand at all. How rich exactly was my father that he could afford something like that?

After an hour's worth of a ride, we entered the nice neighborhood. It was hard to not enjoy the views. At the end of the street, there was a big white mansion, the biggest house in the area. What shocked me the most is that this is the mansion we stopped in front of. The black gate opened on autopilot and this could mean only one thing.

This was my new home.

I needed some time to take it in. So. Freaking. Huge.

At the end of the day, I decided that Russel was cool. At the mansion, Russel gave me a quick tour. Then he took me to the spacious kitchen and introduced me to the nice elderly woman whose name was Jacqueline.

Jacqueline prepared for me delicious French toast with strawberries, blueberries sprinkled on top as she sat with me at the table and said.

"In the upcoming days you probably won't see Mr. Flynn too often he has an important case at his work to take care of, he asked me to introduce you to the house rules"

I nodded and felt the pang of sadness. Maybe he didn't really want me but saw taking me as an obligation? Even more, the reason to stay out of his way and avoid him, if we won't spend time together and I won't make any trouble he won't get sick of me and I will be able to stay longer in this nice house. That was actually a nice prospect.

The house rules were pretty basic. No drugs, smoking, or drinking. Don't skip classes, do your best at school. Don't leave the house without telling anyone, keep your phone charged outside for this house.. basics.

With mom, I never discussed rules, if I did something she didn't as we would usually just argue about it until one of us lets it go, and usually I would just do what I want anyway. I didn't want to test Andrew like that because I was just a guest at his house.
He didn't know me but he took me in. I have to be grateful and follow the rules.

"When do I start school?"

"Your uniform will be here tomorrow. If you're ready you can start at the beginning of the next week, there are still two weeks of the first semester and Mr. Flynn prefers you to get to school as soon as possible. He cares about education very much. If you need help with any subject you can ask me I will help you or Mr. Flynn will be more than capable at hiring appropriate tutor"

I nodded and allowed Jacqueline to take me upstairs. My room was spacious and simple. White walls, bedsheets on the huge bed with four columns, there was a black carpet that added to the decor but everything was more or less like a hotel room cold and devoid of personality.

"You can change the decor in however way you want. Just before ordering stuff let me know so I can check the items and pay, the budged for renovations is not small so you don't have to look at the prices"

Don't look at the prices? That was an insane suggestion. Well, I wasn't planning on decorating anything who knows how long am I going to be allowed to stay it.

I waited for Jacqueline to finish speaking, I nodded politely to anything she told me and when she said her goodbye I finally could lie on the bed and cry. Everything was new, and

I was alone.

I was scared.

I missed mom.
____________
Please let me know if you like the story. What do you think about the main character or the plot so far?