TWENTY-NINE: The Arcade

At the women's words, George cringed as well. He liked this arcade. It was the cheapest and oldest around. You got a nostalgic feeling from it. He also couldn't help but feel back for William.

George knew what it's like to forget about important stuff. Heck, some times he forgets school exists and just sleeps in all day. Not very often, but he empathized with the guy.

"I'm so sorry Marie! Is there anything we can do? They can't just kick us out right? Not after the two years we've lived here."

Marie just shakes her head tears starting to form in her eyes. "No, they said we'd have to either give it back to the original owner or pay the thousand dollar fee by the end of the of the month."

William takes in a sharp breath at the words 'thousand'. "We can't afford that..." he breathes. Eyes fall the the floor. What are they gonna do? They'd have to make three times their usual sales in order to keep the arcade going.

The women's eyes flicker to the William, with his still glued to the floor. George watches as they interact, almost horrified by what he sees unfold.

"William! How could you?! You know how much we've sacrificed for this, now you're going to let it all go to waste? All because your stupid druggy luvs friends 'need' the money?"

William's eyes soon fill with tears. Unlike Marie, he lets them flow down his warm checks. Some of the slater water entering his mouth as he hopeless stares at the floor, lips parted.

He froze, tears still falling as they hit the ground. Marie simply shakes her head. She seems to regret the harsh words, but stands her ground despite it.

William suddenly looks up at the tall girl, eyes a gape. "I'm- I know I've already said this, but truly I'm so sorry. I'll, I'll see what I can do. Maybe they still have some of the mon—ey left over. Or mayb- maybe they still, still, have the d-"

Marie brings the shorter figure in for a hug as she realizes just how much William was struggling with this new information.

"It's okay. Now," She says will a small sad smile and sorrow filled eyes with just a flicker of hope. "-go get 'em tiger. We need that money."

William nods profusely as he runs out the small building. Marie's eyes follow the movement, her eyes seem to lose any sign of hope as soon as the boy makes it outside the doors.

Her face falls, tears trailing down with her, as a steady stream.

She wipes the tears away as her eyes flicker from the ground to George's, seeming to just now notice George's presents.

"S-sorry about that." She says with a very sad and just as small smile. Her eyebrows seemingly following the movement by pinching up into a concerned expression.

George can only nod and give the girl his money as he is frozen with shock.

What the fuck just happened? Their getting kicked out, of what seemed to be the arcade? What do they live here or something? The short guy has druggy friends? Has he been stealing money for drugs, or are his friends making him steal it for their own drugs? Wait am I even sure that they said 'drugs'? Maybe I'm mistaken? That has to be right.

This sure as hell is the biggest distract I've ever seen. And a good one at that.

The girl nods as she takes the money and turns around. Just before her face is completely out of view George can see her face fall again.

George feels like he might cry himself. It looks like she's done nothing wrong and is now facing that boy's consequences. Poor thing.

The girl returns with much less puffy and red cheeks, and a warm smile that doesn't reach her eyes.

"Again, really sorry about that." Her eyes become glossy despite her efforts. "I can't believe you had to hear all that..." The last of Marie's sentence is finished with tears running down her cheeks.
-
WC: 689