Chapter 34

Cop POV

Tonight was a very slow night, well not all nights are very busy, but this one seemed to drag on forever. I sat at the front desk of the police station, where I work night shifts, and was writing up a report when the three out of breath kids ran up to the front desk.

My mouth hung open when I saw them, but I quickly recovered and snapped it shut. The girl was covered in blood, her dark hair was in a tangled mess that cascaded down her back, and her blue eyes were wide with fright. The older boy was covered in the same amount of blood, but his one eye was slightly swollen and bruised, and he was shirtless. The little boy that was holding onto the girl's hand was definitely different. His eye was swollen and there were bruises all over him, and there was a huge scar on the left side of his face.

"We need help." The girl said. "My friend's in danger."

I was about to ask where their friend was, but then I saw the weapon in the older boy's hand. I stared at it and put my hands up towards them.

"I need you to put the weapon down."

The boy looked down at it for a moment before placing it on the counter.

"Thank you." I said and grabbed a scrap piece of paper and a pen. "Can you please tell me where they are?"

"We don't know exactly."

I looked up to them. "Can you tell me the general area they are?"

They gave me a pretty good description of where their friend may be, and I sent a unit to that place.

"Can you guys please tell me what happened? I need every single detail."

"My dad is... was crazy." The little boy said. Despite the hole in his cheek, he spoke pretty well. "But don't worry, Hazel killed him and she saved me."

"Do you mean Hazel Harris?" I asked.

"Yes, why?" The girl replied.

"We got a call from her parents saying she didn't come home from a friend's house. I assume you're that friend."

The girl nodded her head. "When was that?"

"Just yesterday night."

She nodded her head again and then looked at the phone on my desk. "Can I call my mom please?"

"Of course." I handed her the phone and then turned to the older boy. "So what happened?"

"Billy's father and a few of his father's friends kidnapped us and then made us play video games, the loser would get killed. Hazel got Billy, Emma and I out of there, but then they followed us out into the woods. They attacked us, Hazel tripped over a root and sprained her ankle really badly, and then one of the masked people stabbed her, right over her heart." He took a breath before continuing. "We had to leave her cause more of them were coming for us, so we came here as fast as we could."

When he finally finished, I spoke up again. "How many people are alive?"

"At least five, and then Hazel..." His voice trailed off and he looked down at all the blood on his pants.

"Do you know how deep the wound was?"

"I'm not exactly sure, but she lost a lot of blood and she was losing consciousness as we were leaving." Emma said, while handing me the phone. "My parents are coming."

"That's good." I took the phone from her, and gave them what hoped to be a reassuring smile. "I bet she'll be alright."

They all shared a look between each other and looked at me and nodded. They obviously didn't believe any of it.