Chapter 36

Hazel POV

The pain in my chest was so overwhelming, now that Emma, Kyle and Billy were out of view. It took most of my strength to keep my eyes open and sitting up right. I wanted so badly for everything to be over, but I could hear the rest of the masked people coming forward, and I needed to spare enough time for my friends to get far away from here.

I raised the gun up and then took the hand that was holding Kyle's shirt and brought it up to steady my shaking hand. My vision became even more blurry.

Then the masked people came into view, they were only black blobs. I aimed the gun at the closest figure and pulled the trigger. I dropped the gun, fell back down to the ground and got to witness the masked person crumple to the ground, before I too went unconscious.

* * *

I woke up suddenly and let loose a screech. My chest felt like it was on fire. Over my screams, I could make out someone telling another person to shut me up. I felt a fist connect with my face, and I blacked out again.

* * *

I awoke again, but this time my chest wound didn't feel as though someone lit a fire inside, instead it just ached a bit. I opened my eyes slowly and let my eyes adjust to the dark room.

I was in a room lying down on a bed. I went to go sit up, but then was stopped by the restraints on my wrists and ankles.

"Tisk tisk."

I froze, and looked to the corner that was in shadow. The figure stepped forward.

"I killed you." I said, trying to keep my voice from wavering.

"No." He replied. "You killed my brother."

He sat down next to me and smiled down with his black eyes locked onto mine. Now that I got a better look at him, he definitely didn't look exactly like Black ski mask. This man was at least five or six years younger than black ski mask and his black hair was slightly longer too.

He inclined his head towards my cheek and then reached out and lightly pressed his fingers against the bruise.

I flinched away from his hand. "Don't touch me."

He let out a sigh and dropped his hand. "With time, you will see that I saved you. You will be happy here." He got up and headed towards the door. "All you need is time."

He opened the door and stepped out, then closed the door, leaving me in the dark and a swirl of my own thoughts.