Chapter 2.4

As with most small Southern towns, shopping at the local discount superstore in Honoria was a major social event. Sooner or later, everyone ended up there. It was almost impossible to stop in even to grab a couple of itemized without running into someone you knew. There were several women who wouldn't dare go shopping for toilet paper without doing their hair and makeup.

   Dressed in a striped tank top, khaki shorts and heavy leather sandals, Jane ran a hand through her short hair and applied a light coating of lip gloss, the full extent of her priming before she entered the store Friday afternoon. She bumped into three people before she could even claim s shopping cart. All of them wanted to talk about what happened at the swimming pool earlier in the week.

   She was exasperated, but not particularly surprised, to learn that the incident had become rather exaggerated in the frequent retelling—particularly her part
in it.

   "Risking your own life to save that boy," silver-haired Meldy Smith said in a breathless admiration. "You should be given some sort of award for heroism, Jane."

   Gripping the rickety cart she'd managed to snag, Jane answered with strained patience. "My life was never at risk, Mrs. Smith. The water wasn't all that deep. All I did was lift the boy out."

   Clearly preferring the more interesting version she'd heard, Mrs. Smith smiled knowingly and patted Jane's arm. "You're being modest. That's very becoming of you, but I still think I'll ask Chief Ricafort about that reward. Or maybe the mayor."

   "Mrs. Smith, I would really rather you didn't—"

   Without waiting to be dissuaded, the older woman bustled away, as if to act while the idea was still fresh. Jane sighed, shook her head in resignation and pushed her cart toward the health-and-beauty aids sections of the store. A trio of teenagers emerged from the cosmetics aisle, their hands filed with rainy-colored nail polishes, eye shadows and lip glosses. "Hi, Ms. Doherty," they chimed in unison, instantly adopting the tone very kid seems to use around a schoolteacher.

   Though she knew she didn't particularly look like a teacher at the moment, Jane found herself automatically answering in her own "schoolmarm" voice. "Hello, girls. Enjoying your vacation so far?"

   They all nodded eagerly, then hurried away, giggling and whispering. Feeling suddenly years older, Jane tossed a box of facial tissues into her cart. Funny how age was relative, she mused as she moved toward the toothpaste section. To old Mrs. Smith, Jane was still a girl. But to the teenagers, her twenty-nine years must seem almost ancient.

   Discount philosophy, she thought with wet smile. How appropriate for her current surroundings. She added dental floss to her cart and headed for cleaning supplies.

   The store was a noisy place. Frequent announcements sounded over the intercom, dozens of conversations swirled around her, mothers scolded whining children and several babies cried in shrill stereo. Jane often enjoyed spending time just people watching in places like this, but today she had quite a few other things she wanted to get done. She grabbed a spray bottle of glass cleaner from a shelf and tossed it on top of her other selections.

   Two more items on her list, and she could escape.

   A sudden tug at the hem of her shorts made her glance downward. She raised her eyebrows in surprise when she recognized the little blond boy gazing somberly up at her. "Well, hello Tom."

   "Hello," he replied without returning her smile. He kept his big blue eyes trained unwaveringly on her face.

   "Are you here with our dad?" Jane looked around for Tyler before turning her gaze back to Tom.

   The boy shook his head. "I'm with Grandma."

   "Where is she?"

   "Over there." Tom pointed vaguely to one side.

   "Does she know where you are?"

   The boy shrugged, obviously unconcerned.

   Funny child, Jane thought, studying his serious little face. She assumed he laughed occasionally, but she had yet to hear it. He gazed up at her as if waiting for her to do or say something interesting, making her feel oddly self-conscious. "Um...so how are you, Tom?"

   "Good," he answered, then fell silent again, still looking expectantly up at her.