#4

VALERIE POV

"Uh, I'm so sorry. I'm clumsy and I wasn't aware of where I was going and... ", I started to ramble.

"Slow down. It's not a big deal", he chuckled.

I looked up and was met with the familiar brown eyes. Gosh, they're so beautiful. I soon realized what I just thought and slapped my inner self for saying that.

"So, what're you doing walking here alone?", he asked casually.

"Nothing. Just on my way to work", I said.

"Where's work?", shit what should I tell him? I refused to share my personal matters with strangers. Wait, I knew his name so was it considered a stranger? Stupid me of course he was a stranger.

"Some place", I answered.

"Some place?", he raised one brow.

"I'm kind of late. So I'll see you later", I quickly walked away. He looked shocked but he didn't stop me so it was a good opportunity for me to walk away.

I knew it was rude to walk away like that but we kept bumping into each other and it made me freak out. I turned my head and he was watching me intently. I quickly turned away and walked again without looking at him again.

"You're late", Laura sang once I entered the kitchen. I looked at my watch and I was 5 minutes late.

"Shit", I mumbled quietly. Mrs. Hardy would be pissed.

"It's alright. She's not here right now. I suggest you get changed quickly before she comes back", Laura threw the apron to me which I caught with my right hand.

"Nice catch", she whistled before leaving to serve the table.

I quickly changed and went to help Laura with the orders. Mrs. Hardy came back 5 minutes after I started my shift and she had no idea that I was late which made me relieved. The last thing I wanted was being scolded in her small office.

I had a double shift today due to my absence last week so I had to work until 10 pm which wasn't a good idea because I had class the next day. If I knew how this would turn out, I'd have just come to work last week.

At 10, I was ready to go home. I'd taken out the trash and cleaned the kitchen. Laura was counting the money for today and Mrs. Hardy had gone home before 9.30. She asked one of us to close the shop today and brought the keys to her apartment which was 10 minutes away. There was no way for me to do that since it was already dark and I had class early in the morning. I could ask Laura to do it since she had a car.

"Laura, could you close the shop and bring the keys to Mrs. Hardy's? I have class early tomorrow and it's already late", I asked politely.

"I'm sorry, Val but my brother is coming home today and I have to fetch him at the airport", she said apologetically.

"Can't you drop it on the way?", I muttered.

"I'm afraid my brother would be waiting for me", she sounded impatient. I didn't want to do it but if she couldn't then I had no choice. We would get trouble if one of us didn't bring the keys back.

"Fine. I'll do it", I mumbled.

"Great. Now let me change real quick and we can close the shop", she said going to the back to change. I sat at one of the chairs as I waited for her which felt like forever. I kept tapping my foot impatiently as I looked at my watch. It was almost 10.30 and Laura was still changing. What took her so long?

I finally got up and went to the back to check on her. I reached her locker, I saw her texting someone and she was grinning at the phone.

"Laura. Can we go now? It's getting really late and aren't you supposed to fetch your brother at the airport?", I snapped.