Chapter 34 - Christian

Chapter Thirty-Four

Christian

After catching Karla up on what Rayden told us, she passed the pizzas to Adrian and started running back to my truck. Fear and determination similar to my own reflected in her expression.

"Kare, what are you doing?" I asked, following her with brows furrowed. "We don't even know where she is. We need to figure out a plan! We can't just drive around aimlessly - every minute is detrimental."

"He's right," Rayden came to stand beside me. "Mack is a sadist - if she is involved, we need to find them now. We can't waste any time."

"Well, while you boys stand around here trying to figure out a plan, I'm going to go save my best friend!"

She started climbing into the driver's seat, but I grabbed her arm and turned her to face me. "How?! Do you know where she is?! What do you know that we don't, Karla?"

She reached into her pocket and pulled out a cellphone before waving it in my face. "Remember, I gave her my spare phone yesterday - if she still has it on her, I can locate it with the find my friends app."

My jaw dropped - why didn't I think of that!

"Why are you guys still standing around gaping - let's go!" Karla snapped, and we all started moving.

Kale snatched the keys out of Karla's hand. "I'll drive."

I opened my mouth to protest but he quickly cut me off. "Neither of you are in any state to drive - we won't be helping anyone if we end up in a ditch or worse." Kale looked from me to Karla, daring us to object.

We had no time for this, so I nodded and climbed into the passenger seat.

"I'll follow you guys on my Bike," Rayden said while walking past. Adrian, Nate, and Karla climbed into the back seat of my truck.

Karla wasn't even settled in when I turned to face her. "So, where is she?!"

"Ugh, can you give me a moment - Adrian, push over! You're on my buckle!"

"Well, move your leg out of my leg space!"

"Ouch!" Nate glared at Karla. "You just elbowed me."

"Well, tell your brother-"

"Enough!" I glared back at them. "Adrian, push over. Nate, shut up. And Karla, open that damned app and tell us where we are going."

They all looked up, ready to argue, but must've seen something on my face because they faltered. Adrian cleared his throat and then moved off Karla's buckle. Nate averted his gaze, pretending to find something interesting outside.

Karla stared back at me a moment before nodding with downcast eyes. "Sorry, Chris. We're all on edge." She pulled out her phone, and after a few minutes, looked up long faced. "I found her - it's kind of in the middle of nowhere. Halfway between Bridgewalk and Linshore. Looks like she's down some unmarked road - maybe a gravel road? Head east down 37."

Complying, Kale pulled out of the driveway.

Silence fell over the truck - we were all thinking the same thing. What was she doing down an unmarked road? Would we find Charlie ... or her remains?

My heart constricted at the thought as if someone were clenching it, squeezing harder and harder. There was an empty pit in my stomach determined to consume me whole.

I understood now why Kale refused to let me drive. He was already going ten over the speed limit, but it wasn't fast enough. Hell, fifty over wouldn't be fast enough. It took all my restraint not to reach over and slam on the gas.