60 Tell Her I Haven't Forgotten Her

Charlie~~

I knew she was hesitant about trusting me. Finding out she didn't tell me she'd been working with others all along to escape the dream shouldn't hurt like this.

I'm his son. What else can I expect from people? She'll never fully trust me. How can I blame her for that?

I fidget with the file in my hands, standing in front of Tye's door. I don't even know if he's home.

I rifted from the station to my home to grab the file and then rifted out behind Tye's apartment building.

The meeting with Raymond keeps replaying in my head. Nora's had this whole other life that I never thought she had. Working with Raymond and others to shut down the dream? I'm impressed and utterly shocked.

Maybe a part of me is scared to meet her two friends—afraid to find out that one of them is more than a friend. Or maybe I'm just anxious they'll find out who I am and not give me a chance.

I knock on Tye's door, and it slides open a few moments later, revealing Tye standing in the doorway.

"Charlie?" He looks unsure. "What are you doing here?"

I hold out the file. "What Nora's told you is true."

While he flips open the file, I close my eyes checking for any mics or cameras bugged throughout his apartment. I find none. Dad would know Nora spends a lot of time here. She must be checking for them often.

"It's your file about who you are on the other side."

Tye's head snaps up. "Why are you giving me this?"

I step inside, and the door slides shut. "Because you deserve the choice to know who you are. I never said it or maybe didn't even show it, but I thought of you as a friend. If you read it and decide you want your memories back, I can give them to you."

His eyes move side to side as he reads down the first page. I wrote many of the pages myself yesterday as I compiled what information I could find on him and his parents.

His eyes flick up toward me. "Thank you."

"Whenever you're ready, let me know."

He lowers the file. "And Radia?"

"She's okay."

"Nora said you've seen her. Could you tell her I haven't forgotten her?"

I nod, turning toward the door. It slides open, and I look over my shoulder. "She misses you, you know?"

The file clutched in one hand, he presses a fist against his mouth, his face tight, eyes downcast. His throat bobs.

"I'll see you later, Tye."

The door closes behind me.

Tye can finally learn who he is. How do you think he will take it?