11 Training

Chapter 11

We return to our hotel, and afterwards, head to the airport. Flight back to LA is at 10:30 PM, which means I won't get to bed until almost 5 AM. Thank God tomorrow is Sunday.

"Oh, shit! We forgot to buy souvenirs." I complain on our way to the departure area.

Lucas eyes me strangely. "Because it's not necessary."

"Of course, it is. I always get souvenirs when I go to new places." I search for a store, praying for a miracle. "There!"

Without waiting for a reply, I walk across and step into the small store, greeted by basic little globes, keychains, and mugs of New York.

Rummaging through options, I pick a Central Perk keychain and an 'You're The Rachel to My Monica' mug. Casey and I are Friends fanatics, so the decision is crucial.

"Which one?" I turn to Lucas when he joins.

He leans with unexpected attention, then deadpans. "They misspelled Central Park."

I lower down the objects. "What...is...wrong with you."

"What?"

"You poor soul."

He scoffs, picking up a mug with the silhouette of the city. "I don't get the point of spending money on crap that you don't need."

"Then don't buy crap." I shrug.

"What do you call the stuff in your hands?"

"Sentimental gifts are different, they can be an inside joke or something you both have in common." I grin at his unimpressed expression, and take both items to the register. "It's like sharing a part of yourself with someone."

"No one thinks that. People just want a high price tag that'll make them feel like they matter." He mutters over my shoulder.

"Not me." I sing, searching for my wallet.

~

Sometime in the middle of this restless, annoying flight, crankiness seeps in, souring my mood. I start regretting the decision to extend this flight. Not only because my back is splitting me, but because I'm not sure how I'm going to act with Lucas on Monday.

Do I go back to hating his guts? Not after everything he's shared with me. And certainly not after everything I've shared with him.

Do we act like friends? Yeah. yeah, I guess we could act like friends. If I'm going to be his boss, the relationship needs to stay intact.

Because if he quits, finding his replacement will only add more on my plate and—

"Just lean on my shoulder." Lucas whispers, startling my ruminations. The airplane lights are off, everyone's asleep, and the only noise is from the hum of the machine.

"Hm?" I turn, certain that I misheard him.

He chuckles at my surprised expression. "You keep whining and turning every two seconds."

"Oh..." I look away. "Sorry."

"Suit yourself." He murmurs in a hoarse, sleepy voice, closing his eyes.

He leans his head back, protruding a rugged Adam's apple, and releases a deep, slow, gruff exhale. My fingers clench around the arms of the seat as I curl into a ball, shutting my eyes.

When we land, Lucas offers to take the same Uber, saying it's not safe to go home alone at this hour. He also takes my luggage to my apartment door, whispering goodbye to make sure the neighbors aren't bothered.