Chapter 64

Rus's P.O.V

America was covered in dusty debris, and he was struggling to breath through all of the coughing that he was going through. The blankets that were supposed to be covering him were thrown off and to the side. His face was twisted into a grimace of pain that was like a growing canyon that spread through his body.

The soup bowl that I had dropped was now far behind me, as I rushed to his side, "Oh my fucking god, Amerrrica, vhat happened?"

I began to pat his back, while terror flooded my sight. He only kept coughing up the black chunks. As they fell from his lips, they tainted his chin a transparent black, and he leaned into me.

"I don't, ack, know," He hacked. "Just please make it go away!"

His hands clawed at my back desperately, while his illness continued. I held him close to my chest. My mind was spiralling with overwhelmed electrical signals that only seemed to cause a power-outage. I looked around the room in a frantic search for anything that could possibly help him.

I propped him up on the bed rest, and grasped the first thing that I could actually process; a glass cup.

I rushed off to the bathroom, twisted the handle on my sink, and filled the cup up with water. I didn't have the time to get purified water, so this would have to do for now.

After I heard the coughing start back up, I went back to America. My hand wrapped around a painkiller on the side of his dresser, as I handed it and the cup to him.

He hastily swallowed the pill and drank the water. He jerked a few times when he was drinking it, and he spat out a little; it was coated in a black residue.

I tucked my arms underneath his, sat down on the bed, and brought him towards me. One of my hands traced circles on his back, while the other took the half-filled glass from his hands.

"You arrre okay, you arrre going to be okay, I vill not let anything hurrrt you, I vill prrrotect you..." I mumbled against his hair.

They were all lies.

I could feel America's back begin to tremble, as his shaky breathing sped up, "What's happening to me? Ack. What even is this stuff...?" His voice was small and quiet, with little separations echoing between each of his broken words.

"I do not know," I answered. "Did zhe vaterrr help?"

He shook his head against my chest, as more filth flew out of his mouth. It looked as if the stuff was clouding his throat, and was making him unable to breathe. It was like moss that grew whenever water touched it.

"Does it hurrrt?" I asked. I was scared of what he would tell me. I hoped the word that came out of his lips was a 'No', but I couldn't really imagine that being the case.

"Unbearably."

My throat gulped, "Vherrre?"

"Inside of me, near my lungs." He wheezed.

I had figured as much with how much stuff that was coming from there, though it was frightening to hear it being said so dully.

Could this be it?

No, it can't be.

I don't see any of the...

Any of the...

The cracks...

My arms retracted from his back, as they laid him gently on the bed, "Amerrrica, show me yourrr arrrm...please..." My voice was tiny, yet it was demanding.