27 | Joie

The doorbell ringing nonstop, and shouting voice disrupting my slumber at three in the morning

               The doorbell ringing nonstop, and shouting voice disrupting my slumber at three in the morning. Misty stirred in her sleep behind me as I raised upright, put on my robe, and walked over to the window. I peered out of it and intoxicated Joel was out on the front lawn screaming my name.

               "Joie! Give me my kids!"

               "This fucking dummy." I mumbled, walking out of my room meeting up with Gunner and Heidi in the hallway. "Y'all go back to bed."

               "Who is that?" Heidi asked sleepily.

               "Joie!" Joel shouted outside.

               "My dad." Gunner said.

               "Go back to bed." I tell them, footing down the stairs.

               I unlock and snatch the door open to Joel screaming on the lawn. "Joel! What the hell are you doing?"

               Joel stopped shouting when he heard me. He stumbled walking towards me. "I want my kids!"

               "You come to my house, disturbing mine and the neighbors peace. I'm sure they already called the cops on you." I kept my tone calm with Joel.

               "Let them! Give me my kids! Misty! Gunner! Dad's here!"

               I shoved Joel back when he decided step closer to my house. "Don't pass this porch."

               Sirens stopped in front of my house before they turned off and two officer's came out. "We got a call about a disturbance."

               "This is my father. He's about to go in the house."

               Joel snatched away when I tried to grab him. "No!" he slurred, "She kidnapped my kids!"

               The officer's eyed me simultaneously. "Kidnapped?"

               "Can you step by the car ma'am?"

               I frowned at the officer. "No. I'm not going to step by no fucking car. This is my house that I own. I didn't kidnap nobody."