Chapter 70 to 79

CHAPTER 70- [Macbeth Eleven]

Dong Qian lived in the Wave's Bend Estate.

This was a very new residential area. A few years before, all this had still been damp, narrow little alleys; later, it had been remade into one of the grand city's beneficiaries. Dong Qian's family had been moved out and moved back into a bright and clean resettlement house there.

All the houses constructed in recent years were very advanced, with "radiant floor heating," "central air-conditioning," "new model systems"; recently it felt like rather Western-sounding nouns had become the distinguishing mark of new residences. As a new generation of the city's middle class had begun to buy quality of life, they'd wanted a nice neighborhood, wanted quiet, wanted services, wanted convenience. The old residents had blearily signed the resettlement agreements, finding a place to shelter at the edges of the "quality life," as if they'd also been integrated into the high tide of the "quality metropolis"... Of course, only those who had come to live there knew that this only looked good on the outside.

There was a thick partition between the commercial housing and the housing where former residents had been resettled. The divide was tightly sealed. On one side was bare cement, while on the other was an exquisite man-made landscape, separating the similar-looking houses by class.

When Xiao Haiyang and his colleague left Dong Qian's house, they found that the place where they'd parked their police car had been surrounded by a circle of people.

"This car came first thing in the morning," an old man walking his dog was saying. "I saw it when I was buying breakfast. I don't know what they've been investigating this long."

"Don't you know there's a murderer living there? The address they dug up online is that house." A young person with the look of a student held up his phone for the old man to see. The dog-walking old fart narrowed his eyes in somewhat uncomprehending awe at the gale-force flow of information.

"Hey, are those two police?"

Before Xiao Haiyang could open the car door, he was nearly drowned in the babbling crowd.

"Mr. Policeman, I hear that assassin lives there. Did you come because of that?"

First Xiao Haiyang froze. Then he shook his head repeatedly. "No, don't make wild guesses. Please move out of the way."

The young person holding up the phone curiously asked, "Is there really an illegitimate son?"

Before the words were out of his mouth, a fashionably dressed lady yanked him from behind. "Stop asking about this sort of useless gossip. If you keep fooling around online, I'll take away your phone.—Officer, I'd just like to ask a little question. Did the one who crashed the car die or not? Did you arrest him? Living next door to a murderer, you know..."

Xiao Haiyang's hand paused in the middle of opening the car door. Then he pretended he hadn't heard, lowering his head and getting into the car without uttering a sound.

"Hey, why are you leaving? Is that any way to answer? This is a question that concerns mass public safety!"

A man in a parked car nearby grumbled, "I said before we shouldn't buy a house so close to the resettlement quarters. You have no idea who's living next to you..."

Xiao Haiyang didn't wait for his colleague to close the door before stepping on the gas. He left the residential estate's parking lot as if he were being chased. As soon as he drove out of the estate's main gate, a minibus with the logo of a certain news outlet on it met them head-on. The colleague was sharp-eyed. He quickly poked Xiao Haiyang. "Go by the side streets. Don't invite trouble."