Making dinner

The kids loved Celine's company when they came back from school. We played zombies, hide and seek and many other games I never thought Celine would find fun. It was like she was a different person with the kids, or maybe it was the infectious joy they spread to everyone they met. Lucas came home early and insisted Bernard dropped Celine at home when she was ready to leave.

The kids and I went through our routine of homework, bath, and dinner. After bathing them, I took them downstairs, and we joined Emma in the kitchen to make dinner. She stood at the counter, chopping some onions in her uniform.

Over the few weeks of my stay here, Emma and I had bonded really well, and she no longer stopped me from helping her with the chores. Maybe it was because we only had each other when the other would go out during the day.

"Hello Emma," they said in unison.

"Hey there, little angels," Emma smiled as we walked into the kitchen. "What would you like to have for dinner?"

"Actually, I was wondering if the kids and I could make dinner tonight," I asked politely.

"Really, you'd do that?" she asked surprised.

"Yeah, the kids have been talking about how much they wanted to make something,"

"You are the best," she grinned, "I have a pile of chores to finish upstairs, and I really thought I would have to go to bed late tonight."

"I could help you with that when I'm done here," I offered, as I walked to the hanger on the wall where the aprons hung.

"Oh no, don't worry. I'm sure I'll be done by the time you're done making dinner." she washed her hands, and wiped them on a towel.

"You can take the night off from the kitchen tonight, I'll clean up when I'm done." I took the two small aprons and walked back to Abby and Aiden who were trying to climb the stool on the island.

"Thank you so much, Chris," she said and turned to leave.

"So, who's ready to make dinner?" I asked raising their apron.

"Me!" they cried happily.

"What are we making?" Abby asked as she put her apron on.

"Hmm, let me see." I opened the fridge, looking through to find something to prepare. "Aha, I took out a bag of frozen chicken."

"Chicken?" Aiden asked, confused.

"And dips." I smiled and dropped the chicken on the counter. I grabbed the butter and milk and set them on the counter next to the frozen chicken.

"So, tell me, how was school today," I asked as I got to work with making dinner.

"School was really good, and we made a new friend today," Abby said as I turned to preheat the oven.

"That's wonderful, what's his name?"

"It's not a he, it's a she," Aiden said, with an exaggerated sigh.

"Oh okay, what's her name." I walked to the pantry door and took out a few ingredients.

"Um..." Abby scrunched her face up, trying to remember her name with a finger on her chin. I chuckled and walked back to them holding a jar of flour and a few eggs. "Maria," she said finally. "I guess her name was Maria."

"No, her name was Mabel," Aiden chipped in, "or Melly. I just know it was an M." he shrugged.

"Well, why don't you ask her what her name is when you get to school on Monday?" I set the things down on the counter and walked back to the pantry to get more stuff.

"Okay," they said together.

"Now," I returned with some mayonnaise and a Ziploc bag. "I'll show you both how to break an egg perfectly,"

"We know how to break an egg," Abby grinned, "but it always ends up spilling on the floor,"

"That's why I'll teach you how to do so without spilling it."

Lucas came out of his office just before we finished making dinner. I had taken a few minutes longer than usual because I had to show the kids how to do everything for every step I took, but I felt a sense of reward seeing as both the kids made their own dips, with lots of help from me, but at least it was theirs.

I allowed them to set the table while I stayed back to clean the mess we had left in the kitchen, which was not a lot compared to how much mess two five-year-olds would normally leave.

"Hey," Lucas said from the doorway as I loaded the dishwasher.

"Oh hey," I looked back at him with a smile.

"So," he walked in with his arms folded across his chest and leaned on the sink area. I closed my eyes, refusing to let my mind drift south, for the second time in one day. Thankfully, the kitchen was large enough for us to talk without touching each other. I could not trust myself to not turn into a sexual goo if he touched me again. "I heard the kids made dinner."

"News travels fast around here," I chuckled and got stood up.

He gave an amused smile, "well it would have been easier to not receive the news if I could not hear their loud giggles and maybe a few pots clattering from my office,"

"I think the pot clattering was me," I admitted with a grin, and took a napkin to wipe the counter.

"Ahh, so my thoughts were right." he straightened, and dropped his hands to his sides, and feigned a serious face. "you're just as bad at cooking as I am."

I threw the towel at him, "Jerk," He caught it swiftly and a low chuckle erupted from his chest. I laughed too, and took another towel, "I would have you know that I am one of the best cooks I know," I said with a proud smile.

"How many cooks do you know?" he taunted.

"Just one, my humble self," I did a funny courtesy, and he tossed the towel back to me before he started laughing.

"Look Chris," he said when the laughter faded. "I know you really did not have to do any of this, but thank you."

"For what?" I turned around and walked to the oven to check the timer. Only a few minutes left for the chicken to fully bake. I turned back around only to find Lucas, barely an inch away from me. I jerked in surprise, wondering how he got here so fast without me noticing. As soon as the initial surprise passed, my breath hitched and I realized he was too close to me, too dangerously close.

So much for keeping my composure.

"For being there for the kids," he stepped closer, and I planted my feet to the ground refusing to walk back, although that choice was getting harder to maintain, as the woody scent of his cologne swept through my nose.

"I'm their nanny, It's my job." I managed to say.

Why can I not breathe? Also, did it get hotter in here or is it just his presence?

"You know that's bull, you're here for them even when you should be taking your break. When last did you take your Sunday leave?"

That would be the day he got the car, and even before that I had barely taken any breaks before, but I was far from complaining. Every minute I spent with the kids was always worthwhile, they made me happy. And that was more important than any break I could take.

"Lucas, you know I enjoy spending time with them."

"And that's why I'm saying thank you," he smiled and reached a hand out to pull me closer. I gasped, and the first thought my min went to was if the kids walked in right now. Maybe I should have walked away when I had the chance.

"Lucas the kid's..."

"They're occupied." he said, almost too sure. "besides, I'm just thanking you for being there for them," he said innocently, but even as he spoke, he trailed a hand up my neck.

"Well...um..." I stuttered, "you're welcome..."

"Chris," Abby walked into the kitchen, and I pushed myself off Lucas so fast, I lost my balance and fell back. Almost instinctively, Lucas's hand darted out and he caught me in my waist, yanking me back into him.

I cleared my throat quickly and Lucas released his hold on me quickly. "Hey princess" he turned to Abby with a nervous smile.

"You're here daddy," she grinned and came in to wrap her tiny hands around him.

"Yes, baby,"

I took the chance to put some much-needed space between Lucas and me. I slowly walked over to the other side of the counter, wiping off the flour that was still there.

"Daddy, do you know Aiden and I helped make dinner tonight?" she said excitedly, and Lucas crouched down to her.

"I heard you, and I must say my princess I'm so proud of you," he pushed a strand of hair from her face and kissed her cheek.

"What about me," Aiden said and ran to meet his father, and Lucas wrapped the other hand around him, "I helped make dinner too dad."

"I'm proud of you my little genius," he tweaked his nose playfully, "you're both really good kids most of the time,"

"Most of the time?" Abby asked sharply.

"What about other times?" Aiden added.

"Well," he feigned a thinking face, "Naughty, and rotten,"

"Daddy," Abby whined, at the same time Aiden chuckled, "no we're not,"

He tickled them, and kissed them all over, making them erupt in loud giggles, that sounded through the kitchen, and elicited a smile from me and Lucas too.

"I love you both so much," he pulled them in and hugged them.

"I love you too daddy," Aiden said.

"And I love you more than everybody else in the world," Abby stretched her hands out in emphasis.

"Even grammy and pop-pop?" he teased.

"Hmmm," she tapped her chin thinking, the laughed a loud, "No,"

Lucas held his chest in mock heartbreak, "You just broke Daddy's heart." and the kids erupted into more laughter.

"Kids, are you done setting the table?" I asked as I put the garbage away.

"Yes," they nodded in unison.

"Okay, that's good, I'll serve dinner, in..." I looked at the oven timer, "two minutes, now you should go and get ready for dinner."

They jumped happily back to the living room, and Lucas got to his feet too. He had a wide grin on, as he watched the kids in adoration.

"So, what time do we leave tomorrow?" I asked, hoping to make him stay longer with me. At least it was okay to look and talk, but not touch.

"In the morning, I want the kids to spend as much time there, and it's a long drive." he started walking toward me again, and I quickly moved backward, with a nervous laugh.

"So um...do you have any siblings apart from Mia?" I asked carefully, not wanting to sound like I'm prying.

"Well, I have a brother, Robin." he rubs the back of his hair, and gives a charming grin, "he's my younger brother, and best friend, also a major jerk."

"Ahh, so it's a family thing," I taunted, with a wry smile.

"I would have you know I can be a gentleman when the need arises," he smirked.

"I have never seen it, so don't hold it against me."

"There's a lot more, I'd rather hold against you," he said drily, and I almost choked at his obvious double entendre, but my curiosity took the better of me, and I found myself asking "like?" even though I knew too well the answer to that.

He folded his arms across his chest and gave me a long look, almost choked at the fact that I wanted him to spell it out. I smiled innocently, waiting for him to speak.

"For starters," he tilted his head, and looks straight at me, and I almost drown in the sea called is blue irises. "the fact that I am starving right now, and in need of something hot for dinner."

He stresses the hot, and in a second, I'm chewing on my bottom lip, my mind racing with thoughts of all the things that could mean.

"And you only make me hungrier when you do that," his eyes were fixed on my teeth sinking into my full lip. The most irrational thoughts swim through my mind, and I was about to bring one of them to life, by literally walking over to him and showing him just how hungry I was for him. The oven timer dings, stopping me before I can even take a step and knocking me back to my senses.

"Well good thing dinner is ready," I managed to rush out.

A flash of disappointment crossed his face but was soon replaced with a tight smile. "Of course, dinner," he growled, and I offered my own tight smile, though mine was more out of the fact that my underwear was fully soaked as he growled.

I finished dinner more quickly than I expected to and raced to my room the second I put the kids to bed. If I had to be in the same space as him for one more minute, I was certain, I would not be able to control my body.

I curled up in my bed and forced my mind to sleep almost immediately. It was no surprise though that my dream was of Lucas of course. From the first day I got the interview it had always been him. His rough hands running up the back of my thighs. His lips against mine as he kisses his way down my neck, over my breasts, and down my stomach. His large hands yanking off my panties and delving between my legs, and his warm tongue against me is the best thing I've ever felt or dreamt of.

Well, I'm fucked.