Chapter 140 to 150

CHAPTER 140 - Edmond Dantès XI

As Luo Wenzhou spoke, his voice failed. He bent over, resting his elbows on his knees, squeezing Fei Du's hand from time to time.—There was nowhere for him to report to, no one he could ask for instructions. Everyone in the City Bureau was in a state of anxiety, coming and going with single-minded focus. No one could decide for him what his next step should be.

He also had nowhere to vent his grievances. Tao Ran was down, and Lang Qiao was inexperienced; if she wasn't panicking, she was making trouble, and all along watching for his expression.

Luo Wenzhou was silent too long. Fei Du lifted his chin and looked him over for a moment. "What's wrong?"

Luo Wenzhou looked up at him and let his mind wander a little, thinking that Fei Du was unlike any other person he knew.

The young and artless were like clear plastic bottles; you could see at a glance whether there was juice or coke inside. The older ones with deeper thoughts meanwhile were like frosted glass bottles, most with dark liquid in them; without opening them up and smelling, it was hard to determine whether it was soy sauce or vinegar.

But Fei Du was neither. He was more like a kaleidoscope with a thousand linked-together little pieces of glass inside it, all placed at different angles; the light going through was refracted countless times. There was no way to trace it.

Even though he was squeezing this person's hand, could touch every bit of his body without restraint, he still often didn't know what Fei Du was thinking.

In all of Luo Wenzhou's life, of all the individuals he had met who gave him headaches, Fei Du came out on top—both during the time they'd been mutually displeasing to each other, fighting as soon as they met, and now, when he wished he could hold him in his mouth, carry him over his head.

If a year ago someone had said to him that at the end of this year, he'd be this isolated and cut off from help in a world of ice and snow, only finding temporary comfort in holding Fei Du's wrist, he definitely would have thought that a fuse had burned out in that person's brain.

"It's nothing." Luo Wenzhou shook his head and smiled wryly. "Just feeling the grimness of an early midlife crisis."

Fei Du blinked, then suddenly drew close to his ear with an evil smile. "What, shixiong, do you feel your abilities are unequal to your ambitions? Why didn't you say so earlier? I'll look after you."

Luo Wenzhou: "..."

Then he pulled himself together and squeezed Fei Du's waist. "Are you looking for trouble again? I haven't settled the account with you yet after you were just playing around touching people's hands."

Fei Du's eyes wouldn't open fully. His gaze came languidly from between his eyelashes. He licked the corner of his mouth. "Oh? How do you want to settle this account?"

Luo Wenzhou didn't know whether to laugh or cry. "Darling, Dad's already very sick at heart. Don't do your little bit to help me on my way to my heart attack."

Hearing that he could talk back, Fei Du slowly sat up straight and returned to the main subject. "What are you worried about?"

Luo Wenzhou let out a breath, his smile dimming. "Do you know what feeling this gives me?"

"Yes. Kong Weichen's connection to Director Zhang and him calling him beforehand are both too easy to investigate and too obvious, like someone's arranged the evidence," Fei Du answered without so much as looking up. "Your own people suspecting each other, the critical witness dead without giving evidence, pieces of evidence appearing one after another in sequence—you're thinking that this is too much like the miscarriage of justice fourteen years ago, just as though history were repeating."