Thirty-one

Don't forget to vote and comment, would make me very happy!
_______________
Ava

As soon as we both had woken up, James had to go back to his place to deal with the Russian mafia member he still had captured in his basement. And of course, I went with him, not wanting to be away from him again.

Earlier, during breakfast, I had expressed my concerns, the reasons why I doubted our relationship. I told him that I knew that me being involved in his world would bring danger to not only me but my parents. And he had said: "I will not let anything or anyone hurt you. I will protect you even if it costs me my life." His words were confident, not an ounce of uncertainty in them, and I was taken aback. The thought of losing him was nagging in the back of my head all morning, the car ride to his house, and when I sat in his lap as he spoke with some of his men. But I forced the thought away, because I would never let that happen. I would never survive that.

We were sitting in his dining hall, a huge table in front of us, with people situated around it. I only recognized Matt and Benjamin, the other ten were strangers to me. They had a cold exterior, firm and serious expressions, just like James and the others had. I couldn't understand what they said, as they spoke in Italian, but the sharp tones made me think it was important.

They all spoke with a certain carefulness towards James, even though his voice was stern, hard. He had one hand planted on my thigh, stroking the skin with his thumb.

Alesso wasn't here, which I was confused by, he was James under-boss, surely he would be around for a meeting like this?

The dining hall was huge, just as the other rooms in the mansion, it was clear that James was rich, extremely rich. I was busy appreciating the beautiful painted ceiling, unaware that the meeting had ended. I jumped at the sound of chairs being pushed back and when I looked up they all were standing, James lifted me out of his lap.

He still held an arm around my waist, and the men bowed their heads before they left the mansion. Even to me, they did.

James

After I heard the front door close I turned to Ava, smiling down at her petite frame.

"I have to go down to the basement, Matt and Ben will keep you company until I'm done, is that alright?"

"Yeah."

I gave her a kiss, then turned around to walk out the room, the feeling of her taste still lingering in my mouth.

When I stepped into the cell where Adrik, the Russian mafia member, was locked in, he was passed out still. Two of my men, Sandro and Gabriel, were standing by the table, talking. When I walked in they quickly stood upright and bowed their heads.

"Don."

"How's it going?" I asked, walking to inspect the damage they have inflicted on him.

"Not a word, just Russian nonsense."

"Do I have to do everything myself, hm?" I raised my eyebrows at them, waiting for a response. They only looked down, uttering a 'no, sir'.

I hummed, taking out the gun from my waistline, sighing, before I secured it in my hand and slammed it into Adrik's face. He jolted awake, groaning at the pain.

When he raised his gaze and looked at me his jaw clenched before he looked around the room for a second. A smirk coated his lips when he again looked at me.