fifty six

~*~*~

~*~*~

"does he know you're here?"

~*~*~

one horcrux down, how many to go? regulus had destroyed the horcrux, he used the killing curse to do it. he was unable to use his own powers because he didn't even have time to try, because a boggart exploded from the locket once he'd opened it, using parseltongue. he wasn't a parselmouth but he learnt a few phrases and figured open would work, which it did.

the boggart had been playing on regulus' mind since he'd destroyed the locket, which was a couple of days ago and he done it as soon as he got home from the order of the phoenix headquarters. it was practically his worst nightmare, which was what a boggart was. sirius, james, summer, kreacher, lyra and noir had left him and died, one by one, but he managed to get his wand and use the killing curse to destroy.

regulus knew he didn't have time to sit and sulk about the boggart because he had more horcruxes to find and he did suspect that the rest of the hogwarts relics were horcruxes. where were they? at that, how would he even find them? it almost made regulus sick that he might need to ask dumbledore if he knew the whereabouts of the relics, he'd think of an excuse and he'd be able to close his mind to dumbledore if he tried to invade his thoughts but he really didn't want to ask for help, especially from him. it was a pride thing, regulus had to admit, but he did just want to do this on his own.

his thoughts were interrupted by a knock at the door. regulus got up from the piano and left the lounge and into the hall. he thought it would be summer, coming to visit and keep an eye on him because she was suspicious of what he was up to after the night in the cave. she saved him and risked her own life in the process but she didn't ask any further questions, accepting that it was his secret but she was still allowed to be worried and check in.

however, when regulus opened the door, it wasn't summer at all.

"hi," said james, who stood more tall when regulus opened the door, clearly wanting to appear more confident than he felt.

"what're you doing here?" asked regulus, he wished for so long that james would randomly appear on his doorstep, a fantasy that is too silly to be true, yet, here he was.

"i don't know," sighed james, like he had woken up that day, got dressed and his legs took him here without really thinking about. this was clearly spontaneous and not thought out too well.

"you said you'd stay away from me," said regulus, not wanting to be played around and tempted just for the rug to be taken from under him again, "so, what is it? what do you want?"