Chapter 7: Sending Maria Off

No matter how Gabriel wanted to hide Maria from his father, I know that it won't solve the problem right now.

Today is the day where we have to let Maria go with her father. At first, Maria was hesitant to go back with the duke but when I explain to her the details of my plan, she agreed. We cannot go against the duke, and since the duke knows our connections to the merchant's guild we cannot use Leonardo's connections to run away from him.

We have to stop running away.

I glanced at my brother. "The Duke is here, go to Maria and help her to prepare things. I will talk with the Duke." My brother weakly nodded at me. I smiled and rustled his hair. "You'll see her in ten days idiot, ten days is not that long"

Gabriel only clicked his tongue and glared at me. "You'll understand my anxiety once you got married, Sister," My brother told me.

"And who will I marry? It's not like I have a lover" I laughed hard while pinching my brother's cheeks. "That's a pure bullsh*t lil'bro. I'd rather devote myself taking care of you and Maria than marrying someone"

"You can't really say that. You will be a lady soon, many men will ask your hand in marriage" My brother puts my hand away from his cheeks. "I am not a child anymore, so don't bother yourself taking care of me. You have done a lot to raise me"

I covered my mouth with my hands. My little brother is really a grown-up. My baby brother is a man now! I'm so proud!

"Where did you take my little brother?" I asked teasingly, but instead of answering me, he just turned around and left me alone to go with his lover. "What a rascal, hmmph!"

I rolled my eyes while going to the duke's carriage. I saw a white-haired man come out. He glanced at me as I go in his direction. "Welcome to our humble home, Your Grace. Come in and I will serve you a tea" I said with a smile on my face.

He nodded and I lead him to our living room to serve him tea. "Maria is still preparing her things, just wait here, alright?" I said casually, I didn't bother to speak formally in front of him, that's a hassle and the Duke doesn't seem to care about it.

But Allan, Duke Evan's personal knight seemed to be annoyed with it. 

I gracefully poured the tea into our teacups. "Where did you learn tea etiquette?" I stopped and glanced at the duke. His eyes were at the teapot on my hands. 

I didn't notice that he is observing me.

"I was a prim and proper noble lady. Of course, I know these simple things" I replied to him. Allan's face seemed to be in shock. "Simple things like this is simple as breathing"

"Pardon me, Your Grace, but this Lady... was a noble?"

A soft chuckle appeared on my face. "Well, because of a certain person, I am planning to retrieve my original status" I spoke while glancing at the Duke. 

Damn it, his face doesn't really look like Maria's father. I wonder what's his secret behind his youthful face! Are you really Maria's father? I can't even stop looking at his face!

"Original status?"

"Daughter of a Marquiss and stuff" I replied. Allan froze into his spot when he heard me said that. "The duke doesn't seem to inform you, Sir Allan, but yes I was a noble. Daughter of Marquiss Antonio to be exact. It's a long story but to summarize it, Gabriel and I got separated from our father"

"That's..."

"How did Maria ends up in your care?" The duke suddenly asked. His handsome stiff face seemed to be curious. I did not tell him this information yesterday, so I can understand.