Chapter 17

Valarie

I didn't know where to wait. By the bed? In the bed? In the living area, where I knew he'd come through the window?
Part of me wanted to see him come – to step through out of the shadows, all white-blonde, cool stare. The rest of me was just as scared as I was excited.

I walked to my bedroom door and glanced again across the room at Sophia's door. She had been exhausted after the obstacle course, placing second only because Morgan had fallen off of her horse. The Dagger pack's alpha princess, Edith, had placed first. Even distracted by my run-in with the King I knew that she was one to look out for. We hadn't even considered her competition.

After the course we'd returned to the Kingdom and I'd helped Sophia wash and dress quickly for a late lunch and celebration. She'd had to play the part of a gracious princess and she did it well, all smiles and nods. Queen Raquel had seemed impressed, the major betas in the Alpha pack charmed.

But she'd been tired and it was easy to see once we were alone. Her legs were covered in long red lines and scratches from running through low branches. Her thighs were bruised from riding hard – she'd managed to get one of the paints – and her hair was almost as much of a tangled mess as my own.

But we managed it, and as soon as her injuries were tended to, she'd fallen into a deep sleep. Leaving me alone to pace and agonize for hours over saying yes to Gabriel.

How could I have said no with him on his knees before me? It took me back to that first night with him, and heat pooled between my thighs.

"Ugh." I walked the length of my room, trying to shake off the desire, and then back to the door again to make sure Sophia was still deeply asleep.

The window was open.

I looked around quickly, trying to find him and failing. Everything was it as it been moments ago – the couches, the chairs, the thick rugs on the ground. But there were three footprints sunken into one of those rugs and I tracked them, looking deep into the shadows.

Gabriel emerged grinning the same grin that had floored me earlier that morning. I couldn't help blushing as he walked purposefully toward me, almost brushing against me as he passed through the doorway and into my room.

"What are you –" I spun quickly to find him standing only a few feet away, taking in his surroundings. Stepping toward him slowly, I watched his eyes move over everything.

"Your own palace, and you've never seen these rooms before?" I asked.

His gaze cut into me. "Well last time I was here, I was a bit distracted, wasn't I?" he asked with a smirk. Gabriel moved from the end of the bed to the dresser, and then the nightstand. I squirmed as he looked at my meager belongings, remembering his own and how poor mine must seem.

His hand came to rest on the necklace my dad had given me before leaving. Every night I took it off and put it carefully on the table.

"Be careful," I pled, reaching out as he lifted it.

His brow was knit as he glanced at me before bringing it closer to his face and turning it over a few times, looking at the design. He ran his thumb over it and grinned.

"Have you figured out it's secret?" he asked.

Staring, I shook my head. I hadn't even had time to look at the locket more closely since arriving here. But I knew my dad, and knew that there was a trick to it.

Gabriel put it back down carefully.

"I'll let you figure it out. Where did you get it?"

He continued to walk the room slowly, taking everything in. I brought my arms up and crossed them over my chest, shivering. Of course. He had left the window open.