𝟑. ✭ 𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐄𝐘 ✭

I swirl the liquid in the glass in my hand over and over as I sit in my kitchen. I'm just staring at it with my head propped up on one fist, feeling irritated with myself for being such a dumbass. Fucking my boss' girlfriend had turned into a blackmail for me to find my old girlfriend, who just happens to be my boss' daughter. Tatyana hadn't known that fact though, just that Dani had taken a liking to me. Maybe it's because we're around the same age, I honestly have no idea but, she had seen that the two of us had a connection.

A connection that ended up in raging flames when I'd chosen to stay with the syndicate instead of her. When she wanted out of the family, wanted nothing to do with them after learning specific horrid details about her father's business dealings, and she had wanted me to leave with her. That was not an option though. One doesn't just up and leave an organization like this, to rendezvous with the boss' wayward daughter no less. I would've found myself in an unmarked grave for sure.

She had known we had to keep our relationship private but hadn't realized why. She knew I worked with her father, knew he was into serious business dealings, but she didn't know the unsavory bits of his job and of mine. No, Dani had walked in on an interrogation, one her father had been giving. He'd been covered in blood and so had I. When she ran from the room I had gone after her.

I ran down the hotel hallway until I was able to grip her in my arms. She'd looked me over in mortification, specifically at the hands that were holding her and covered in blood, just shaking her head the whole time. Tears brimmed her eyes as the realization that all of the rumors she'd heard over the years were true. That and I had lied to her when she'd questioned me about it.

It hadn't been my place to tell her what her father was, what I, in turn, have to do because of it. At that point I'd been working with him for four years and seeing her for one of them, seeing her and fabricating a different image of myself for her the entire time. It wasn't entirely a fabrication— the man I was with her is the man I truly am but her father couldn't know that, see that side of me.

"Fuck my life," I utter to no one but myself.

I sip the liquid seeing Dani's angry face, hands shoving me away from her. Then our last talk— the one where I'd told her I wasn't leaving with her, that I wasn't changing for her. The devastation that'd been all over her face is something I'll never forget.

Tatyana thought I would be the person to make her come home, had tasked me specifically, but I know I am the last person Dani is going to listen to. She's not going with me anywhere and if I make her come with me, if I take her against her will, she'll never forgive me.

All of my options are complete shit. I don't find Dani and Tatyana tells Agelos about Katya and me, or even worse, I don't find her and she gets hurt. I'd never forgive myself if something happened to her so I know what my answer is— I am going to find her and I am going to bring her home, that or stay with her. I'm not really sure how this entire thing is going to play out.

✩✩✩

I saw the family off, accompanied by Remy and Ram. Tatyana had given me one last stern look, conveying her command to me. I had given her a slight nod of the head in return, one that told her that I would do as tasked.

Now was the hard part— locating a woman who does not want to be located. Agelos hadn't even tried to search for her after she'd left, not after the complete disrespect she had shown him. I had never seen that type of fury blaze behind his eyes before because he knew he couldn't act on it. Tatyana would've never forgiven him if he'd lifted a hand to their daughter and I, who knows what I would've done if he harmed her.

I would've ruined everything. That's what I would've done.

Blowing out a deep breath I sift through the paperwork I'd been sent and the emails of her potential whereabouts. I had to use other connections since I couldn't use the syndicate's. It was dangerous but just as dangerous as me going against the boss' word and taking orders from his wife. I finally happen upon a promising lead.