twentyfour

"ITS SOON TIME FOR US TO CROSS the Fold, we'll need to get the whole Army across. How exactly will we do that?" Zoya asks as she falls back on the couch in front of the desk that Nyx is seated at.

"We could use the Skiff again." David suggests as he straightens up in his seat. Nyx rests her elbows on the desk, leaning her chin against her hands as she thinks this through.

"We have three thousand men, we wouldn't be able to cross all at once. And having too many people on the Skiff would attract the attention of the Volcra." Zoya points out and Nyx nods in agreement. "Going through Shu will take too long and Fjerda as well. Not mention the ongoing conflict with both countries."

"So, we have no choice but to cross the Fold. If only we had our own sun summoner." David sighs, causing Nyx to scoff.

"I'd rather not. We'll have to take the skiff." Nyx sighs in frustration, rubbing her forehead in frustration. "How many men could be in the Hull? And how many can stay on Deck?"

"In total we can fit 150 men onboard. Without including the horses and provisions necessary." David says and she groans in response, rubbing her head in frustration. "We have to do a minimum of 60 trips across, to move everything."

"Saints. No one has ever done that and survived." Zoya breaths out, looking at her two friends in bewilderment. "What now then?"

"I don't know. We'll figure something out." Nyx sighs as she falls back against the chair. "How's Viktor handling things?"

"He's overwhelmed. I explained to him our plans without exactly saying the reason. We've introduced him to his comrades as General." Zoya explains to her, sitting up as she takes a deep breath. "We made sure the Soldiers believe we're simply taking over from where Zlatan left off, but we're taking more direct actions. Also, we've said we're nobles who are sponsoring the army for the independency."

"Good. Good. It's better that way. Let's keep the reason a secret. They don't need to know." Nyx breaths out, making them agree in understanding. Before any of them can say anything else, a guard walks in and Nyx raises a questioning eyebrow.

"Madame, a boy claims to know you and wishes to speak with you." The guard announces, making Zoya scoff as she looks at Nyx.

"Please don't tell me it's that rascal." Zoya groans, causing Nyx to shake her head with a smile.

"Let him in." Nyx says to the Guard, who nods before walking out of the tent. Not even a minute later, he walks back in with the person she had correctly assumed to have come. The guards nods once, before leaving again. "I'll hand it to you, kid. You have guts to come back."

"You never said I couldn't come back." He points out and she gives him a look, before shaking her head in disbelief.

"What do you want Adrian?" Nyx asks, crossing a leg over the other and she looks at him expectantly.

"I don't know what you three are planning, but I do know you're powerful enough to kill four men at the same time. And she's a Squaller, while he's... I don't know what he is. Anyway, my point is, I want in." Adrian says with an awkward smile, causing Zoya to snort as she leans forward.

"Stop making a fool of yourself. You can't handle being on the same league as us. You'd die two days in." Zoya taunts, making him glare at her.

"Zoya isn't hundred percent wrong. As you know, we're Grisha. We've had years of training to reach where we are. You're only seventeen. Just stick to being a stable boy." Nyx says dismissively, but he straightens up.

"You once told me that ambition requires courage, this is me having courage." Adrian says firmly and Zoya snorts.

"You want to become King or what?" Zoya asks, but he choose to ignore her.

"There is a reason you've left me alive or that you kept me around when you were at the Inn." Adrian argues as he takes a step closer to Nyx.

"I admit you have the courage, but what you're signing up for comes with a death risk. There is no guarantee you'll come out alive." Nyx points out and he huffs.

"I know that. I've thought of every risk and every possible outcome. One of them being that we win and maybe from there on I can say I've done something with my life other than take care of horses." He says, desperate to convince her to accept him. Nyx glances at Zoya, who frowns in thought, and at David, who seems to be convinced by Adrian's words.

"Listen, Adrian. We're crossing the Fold, then we're going to war against the Second Army and the First Army posted in East Ravka. Do you really think you have a way to contribute? Will you take care of our horses?" She asks, being harsh on purpose. She didn't want him to get involved and regret it or get hurt, she'd blame herself forever.

"You can train me. You come from the Little Palace, you were under the Darkling, so you must have had some of the best training in Ravka." He suggests and she chuckles softly.

"I don't have time to train you, Adrian. I have a ton of paperwork and I have to figure things such as crossing the Fold." Nyx lies, she did have a little time for training, especially since she was training David thrice a week. Zoya did most of the training though, but she could imagine Zoya not wanting to train Adrian.

"Then he can train me." Adrian says, pointing at David, who looks at Nyx with wide eyes.

"He has bare minimum training." Nyx says, crossing her arms over chest. David had progressed smoothly during training and she could see him continue improving over the coming weeks.

"Please. I just... I want to do something, anything. I don't want to stay here in Os Kervo, being a stable boy." Adrian cries out and she sighs, rubbing the bridge of her noses as she thinks this through. By the looks of it, he wasn't ready to give up on this, which left her with one option.

"You'll train along with David. Most of the time it's Zoya who will be in charge, three times a week it'll be me. Any signs of you being a hindrance to our plans and you're out." Nyx says firmly, making Adrian grin and beam happily.

"Thank you! You won't regret this."