𝚝𝚠𝚘

𝚜𝚘𝚗𝚐 𝚛𝚎𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚍𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗: 𝚛𝚞𝚋𝚢 -- 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚙𝚒𝚕𝚘𝚝𝚜

𝚛𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐: 𝚐𝚎𝚗𝚎𝚛𝚊𝚕. 𝙽𝚘 𝚠𝚊𝚛𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐𝚜

𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚠𝚘

"Red eyes? That's so unnatural,"

My friends surrounded me, all peering over my shoulders to see the small piece of the mirror I held. It was no bigger than my index and middle fingers, and I had pretty small hands so it wasn't very big at all. Still, they were all excited about the fact that I had finally gotten a piece.

"It shouldn't be hard to find him then," Nami said, resting her arms on my desk as she sat in front of me, seated backward.

"Yeah, not many people have such a rare color," Arkema said.

"So when are you going to try to look for him?" Nami asked.

"I'm not," I replied, placing the shard back into the safety of my bag, before crossing one leg over the other, opening my notebook.

"What?!" Arkema exclaimed. "Why not, Y/n?"

"Because," I said. "I'm not going out of my way to find this guy. I'll meet him one way or another. I'm not going to mess up my schedule to find him. That's like playing with fate."

"But you could meet him sooner!" She said, looking at you with wide eyes.

"Yeah, it's like looking a gift horse in the mouth! I mean, how many people could have that color eyes, Y/n?" Nami said, shock clearly written on her dark face.

"Look, I don't want to find him. He'll come around when he does. Now all of you chill and get to writing the notes. I'm not saving your asses on this next test. Again," I said, rolling my pencil over my knuckles.

"You're such a stiff, Y/n," Arkema sighed.

"Shut up."

Red eyes, huh? It wasn't impossible to have red eyes, people born with albinism had them due to blood leaking into the iris. The more logical term for this color would be 'amber'. But, I didn't think that's what I would call it. His eyes were a striking shade of crimson, bold and bright, not dull and yellow.

Rubies.

A pink to a blood-red colored gemstone, a variety of the mineral corundum or aluminum oxide. It's a lustrous, deep red stone that has accrued special and symbolic meaning through time. Through the ages, the ruby has represented nobility, purity, and passion. From ancient times through the modern-day, rubies have been valued by cultures around the world.

That would be the only way to describe the color of his eyes. And by God, I thought they were beautiful.

...

The silence created in my room from my quiet studying was soon broken as Keiji came barreling through my door. I sighed, dropping my head as I closed my eyes.

"Y/n! I need help!" He cried, running into my room. Grabbing the stool near my vanity, he pulled it beside my desk, closing all my books and moving them to the side before placing his own down.

"Pre-calc?" I asked.

"I need to know everything on this for the entrance exams into the University!" He groaned, raking a hand through his raven hair. "Can you help me?"

"It'll cost you,"

"I'll buy you as much food as you want."

"Deal."

For the next three and a half hours, my brother and I sat as I explained some things to him. I showed him how to solve a few problems before writing some down, and letting him try them on his own. While I waited, I couldn't help but look at the shard of the mirror again.

Keiji noticed my enchantment and smiled to himself. "It's pretty wild, huh?"

"Hm?" I said, looking over at him, my cheek resting against my fist. His blue eyes were soft.

"The whole soulmate thing," He clarified. "It's pretty wild to know someone so compelling is out there."

"I guess so," I mumbled, twisting and turning the piece in my hands. "It's...weird."

Keiji chuckled. "As expected from someone like you."

"What's the supposed to mean?" I asked. He raised his hands in defense.

"Nothing, nothing. It's just you tend to think more logically than emotionally," He said, shrugging. "You've never been really into stuff like this. I wouldn't say you had no empathy...you're just...different. Most girls obsess over their soulmates. You just seem...intrigued. Like this is some kind of new challenge for you."

"It is," I said, letting the shard drop on the table. "I don't understand it."

"And you know what? I'm kinda happy you don't," Keiji hummed, making me turn my head to look at him. "I can see the gears turning in your head, and I haven't seen that in a while."

I placed my chin on my arm. "Kei, what if we're so different, it's like we're worlds apart?"

"You should hope that he's different from you," He replied. "If he were the same, you'd be so bored of your own soulmate, he wouldn't feel like your soulmate."

"What's it feel like? When you first meet them?" I asked, my voice lowering in volume as I stared at the ruby-red eyes. "How did you feel when you first met Sara?"

Sara, Keiji's soulmate. They'd only recently met, but from the way Keiji described it, it was 'love at first sight'. She was tall, with pretty dark skin, curly hair, and fierce hazel eyes. She was kind, and rather brash, like our mother. I think it's why our family loves her so much.

"Like I was seeing for the first time," My brother replied, a smile gracing his lips. "When I completed the mirror, and I saw her, I knew exactly who she was. I went to call her, and she called me at the exact same time. When we met halfway, it was like the whole world had this giant burst of color. I was so overwhelmed with happiness, I started laughing like an idiot. She did too, and it was like...I just knew. I knew right then that this was my soulmate."

"It sounds nice," I said, laying the piece of reflected glass down, breaking my gaze from the red orbs.

"Don't look so down, Y/n," He said, draping an arm over my shoulder. "You got your first piece! The others will show up quicker than you think. Just trust the process."

"Yeah...I just hope it's soon," I muttered. "It's kind of depressing to be the only one who hasn't met my soulmate yet."

Keiji chuckled. "I'm sure your soulmate feels the same way."

I knew I could trust Keiji's words, after all, he was the most compassionate of our siblings, and he was the one you could go to for advice. His little pep talk brought my spirits up a little bit, but I was beginning to doubt it myself. I wasn't going to give up that easily, though. I had faith.

"Alright, enough talk about this," I said, sitting forward. "Let's get back on track. You have an entrance exam to study for."

𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚠𝚘: 𝚎𝚗𝚍
𝚒𝚖𝚊𝚐𝚎 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚖𝚒𝚗𝚎
1180 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚍𝚜