Chapter 18: The Plan

"Ok" Caleb started "The plan is for me to go and find the careers. From my experience with them is if they see me they will send one of them to go kill me, so one of them will come then I will spear them through the stomach. A cannon will go of and they will think that I died. The two of them will be most likely looking towards the way we were. You will be on the other side hiding in some bushes. When I to walk back I will make a sound that goes: crunch-crunch-crunch crunch-crunch."

"Ok" I say

"Then you will kill one with a knife and I will kill the other with the spear..."
Caleb's voice trails off

"Then it's you and me." I finish for him.

"Yeah..." He said as he looked down.

"Let's do this!" I say to stop the conversation.

We walk in silence until we hear noises. We nod at each other and move to get into position. I cross around and behind were they are. I squat down behind some bushes and watch them. I see them walking then almost out of nowhere Caleb steps by looking surprised then runs out. Caleb was right only one of them went to go get him. The other two stood there laughing and smiling.

"Now we just need that girl" One of the two said.

The other one said back "yeah, she's probably close by, I mean without him she probably can't live till sundown."

My face became red with anger. I can survive all by myself. My thoughts were interrupted with the sound of a cannon. My heart skipped a beat, I really hope that was the career. I lean in more and here the crunch-crunch crunch-crunch-crunch sound and my heart beats twice as fast.

I pick up the knife and lean in even closer to aim. I saw Caleb spear the other guy and I leaned in more to throw but I leaned in to much and I stumbled out of the bush. The career, as fast as can be, grabbed me and my knife out of my hand. In two seconds he was holding me tight with my knife to my neck.

Caleb grabbed his spear and pointed it at the career.

"Hit me and she goes down with me!!" He screamed at Caleb.

By now I'm sweating wondering what Caleb will do.

"Ok..." Caleb started "That makes my job much much easier" He said with an evil grin on his face.

"What" I said grasping on to life. I couldn't believe what just happened and then I realized what a fool I had been. I knew it would come down to me and him but I didn't think it would be like this.

"Wait..." The career said "Your using me to do your dirty work... kill me, I kill her and you win! That's not fair I won't do it !" He said as he let go of me and I fell to the ground.

"Ok" the career said again " let's fight like men and whoever wins get to finish off sugar cake over here." He said while looking down at me.

"I need to do something I decided.