fourteen - bread and texts

"Huh?" Sasaki looked at Furihata with a raised eyebrow. The other boy repeated himself.

"Coach and captain said to meet them in the hallway outside their class for something around lunch," He said, so with a yawn, Sasaki agreed.

The meet up happened soon after, and all of the basketball team stood in the hallway. "What do you want?" Kagami spoke first, and Riko smiled.

"Go buy some bread," She said plainly, making Sasaki blink and frown.

"Bread?" Furihata asked what Sasaki was thinking. Actually, it was probably what all the first years were thinking.

"On the 27th of every month, the Seirin High cafeteria sells a limited quantity of a very special bread," The coach explained.

"I see.." Kagami still wasn't convinced. Meanwhile, Sasaki felt his phone vibrate, making him sigh as he knew exactly who it was. Kise had been texting him all day and even called him to say good morning.

"Supposedly, eating this fantastic bread will bring you great success in love, clubs, or anything else," Riko continued as Sasaki ignored his phone in favor of listening to her. "The triple delicacy, Iberian pork cutlet sandwich with caviar, foie gras and truffles! It's 2800 yen!"

Oof, quite a lot for a sandwich, Sasaki thought, but that's no problem for me.

"It's so expensive!"

"And there's so much on there, it must be trash.."

"We beat Kaijo," Hyuuga pitched in, "and practice is coming along well. We're asking you to get this fantastic bread so you can continue building momentum."

"But we're not the only ones with our eyes on it," Riko brought up with a sigh, "it always gets a little busier than usual," She said, making Hyuuga grimace beside her but he tried to hide it.

So, it was that bad, huh? Sasaki grimaced as well at the thought.

"We just have to go buy some bread, right?" Kagami finally seemed to be on board, "that's as easy as pie... Ma'am," He threw in there to stay formal cause he's scared of Riko. Sasaki almost snorted.

"Here," Hyuuga handed an envelope to the redhead, "the second years will pay for this. Buy lunch for everyone else while you're there, too," He said before smiling dangerously. "But if you fail.. I don't need any change. Instead, you'll be doing three times as much strength training and footwork."

"Not today satan!" Sasaki snatched the money out of Kagami's hand and sprinted like his life depended on it towards the cafeteria, the other first years running after him.

When they all arrived, Kagami's eyes widened. "Seriously? Are you serious?"

"Kuroko, come here for a sec," Sasaki mumbled quietly, then handed over the money to him. "We need your power now, go do your thing."

"Alright," Kuroko nodded, "but I can't promise anything."

"Don't worry, I believe in you," Sasaki encouraged, then glanced at the others. "More than them, at least."

So while waiting for Kuroko to return, Sasaki witnessed the other first years get pummeled and then the audacity of Kagami to crowd surf and get absolutely wrecked.

"I'm back," Kuroko said, standing in front of Sasaki with a whole bunch of sandwiches in a bag.

"Great! Good work, Kuroko," Sasaki grinned happily, then his phone buzzed again. Ignoring it, the first years headed back to where the second years said to meet, which was the roof since their ban had been lifted.