06 | another distance

This morning, I walk on the ground of my school with a heavy heart, my mind drifting off to what happened at the coffee shop yesterday with Max

What if someone saw us together?

Chill, Luna. We were only doing our English assignment, and I'd made sure that there was no one in our school watching.

That's why I chose that coffee shop. It's quite secluded and hidden, connected to my favorite bookstore, which is never crowded nowadays, because a newer and bigger one has just opened nearby down the street.

It should be fine.

I sigh. I just wish that I didn't bring up those silly conversations.

What was I thinking? Why did I talk about the galaxy, planet and moon? Why did I suddenly blurt out my parents' love story?

That's embarrassing.

I've never opened up to any single soul in this school after that incident last year. Nobody has ever talked to me, asking about me. I guess that I was too overwhelmed that I could finally talk to someone.

I bite my lower lip, walking down the hallway toward my locker. My grip on the straps of my backpack tightens -- it's my habit every time I notice people's glances once I step into the place.

It's stupid if they think that I don't know that they're looking.

My question, though, is why do they even bother looking if the sight of me would only irritate them?

My steps stop short as I see something surprising. There beside the locker, I see Tyler with his girlfriend, Mikaela.

Bad luck, Luna.

Tyler is leaning against the locker, facing Mikaela, whose arms circling his neck. They're talking, laughing, and my heart skips a beat when their eyes land on me.

Instantly, the sight of the three of us being in the same place attracts other students' attention -- I can feel more eyes on me, on us. For a split second, my eyes meet Tyler's, before he pulls Mikaela closer into his arms and surprises her with a long and hard kiss.

Right. The public display of affection has just turned into a wild one. Mikaela moans in their kiss, and I know that she's smiling even though I'm not looking at them, focusing my eyes on my locker instead, opening it to take out my biology book for the first lesson today.

Tyler and Mikaela are the perfect couple. They've been dating for six months. Mikaela is the daughter of a famous architect and a supermodel. She inherits her mother's body -- she has those legs that go on forever and all the perfect curves.

Her long dark brown hair deserves to be in a shampoo commercial, and she has a beautiful pair of amber eyes. I wish I had that kind of eyes -- my brother has them too, but Mikaela's are of a darker shade.