xxiii. leather gloves

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE ─── leather gloves 

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE ─── ❛ leather gloves ❜

𝕸ethodically, Stasiaj scraped the blood from underneath her nails. It had dried in the cracks of her hand, staining them a horrible red. Stasiaj hated that particular colour of red, a shade darker than her lips. It reminded her of the slave ships, of the people she had killed over the years and of what terrible things she'd caused.

Scrubbing again, Stasiaj raked her nails across her hands to get rid of the blood.

"Stasiaj,"

"The blood's almost off," Kaz grabbed her wrist, pulling her hand away from the other to stop her scratching.

"There's no more blood, Stasiaj," He replied, but Stasiaj shook her head. She could see the blood. It was there, dark red coating her fingers.

"Yes there is. There's red all over my hands," He shook his head, crouching down beside her as Stasiaj tried to remove her hand from Kaz's iron grip. "Kaz, let me go. I've got to get it off. I can't walk into Ketterdam with blood all over my hands."

"It's off, Stasiaj," Tears grew in her eyes again, as she shook her head again.

"It's not, Kaz," He let go of her hands, as Stasiaj went back to scrubbing. She had to get it off. There was a silence for a moment, before Kaz grabbed her sleeve, placing her hand in her lap. Stasiaj went to pull it back, before freezing as she saw Kaz's pale hands. He was deftly pulling his gloves on to Stasiaj's hands, encompassing them in warmth as her skin disappeared beneath leather. "What are you doing? You'll get blood on your gloves."

"You're not going to hurt your hands if you scratch them with gloves on," He replied, and Stasiaj saw his hands trembling as he did the gloves up for her like she was a little child. He treated her hands like porcelain, being extra careful not to accidentally touch her skin as he did the final button on the other glove. "Come on, let's get you home."

"What about Van Eck's wife?" Kaz's gloves were warm and a little too large for Stasiaj's smaller hands, but they heated her cold fingers up from the cold of the sea.

"She's singing and I think that would make your life worse. It made mine significantly worse," He muttered, causing a small grin to appear on Stasiaj's face. "Come on."

The girl stumbled to her feet, brushing sand off of her knees gently as she followed Kaz to the row boat. Her eyes remained fixed on his pale hands, that seemed so out of place in the dark. His crow cane was free of blood and leaning against the boat, and Stasiaj winced as she saw how bad his limp was.

She had caused that.

"Come on. The vipers are going to be worried," Kaz cut her out of her thoughts, watching her with soft eyes as Stasiaj gnawed on her lips.