Chapter XIII: One Eighty Degree

The thing I understood about life is it isn't fair to everyone. But to me, it holds some personal grudge. Otherwise, why would it throw constant feets my way?!

I learned that Gashmir and Kanan, both are cousins from maternal sides. When Kanan's parents died, his maasi (aunt), Gashmir's mom took him under her wing. And he had been living with Shenoys for seventeen long years. Though, Gashmir didn't bother to tell me.

I understand that he doesn't want me to get involved with his family more than I do. However, I refused to look like a fool everytime.

Daddu and Uncle left early this morning. I was leaving this flat too as my presence was no more needed here. Not that I was excited to live with two morons. 

Tying my hair with a band, I took a last look in the mirror before leaving the room. I heard hushed voices down the hall as I got closer to it. Why would anyone talk secretly in their own flat?! Until and unless they are planning some bomb blast. 

"They seemed closer than you told me. Huh?! It can be a threat to us, you understand it. Right?! We should step up our____" as soon as Kanan saw me, he sealed his lips. Like he doesn't want me to listen. As if I was interested in their stupid gossips. 

Kanan being his unusual self did not bother me. He didn’t even try to show he knew me. Which was a miracle itself?! It should always go this way, I wish.

I refused to pay any heed to them. Rolling my eyes, I left from the front door, closing it with a thud. Childish?! That I can be.

☆☆☆

I cough as I inhale smoke, Diya was puffing through her mouth. That girl. I would never be here if I didn't feel so alone. I couldn't share my secret marital problems with anyone but only Diya. Why does it have to be Diya?! 

She was as emotional as a crocodile.

"You are an idiot," She snickered besides me. I groaned in annoyance. She was calling me names for the past fifteen minutes and smoking as if her life depends on it. While doing nothing about my problem. 

I jumped from the wall where we were sitting. I should attend my lectures instead. At least I won't feel like punching my roommate to end. I dusted the dust particles off my uniform. It was a mistake to turn to Diya in need of consolation. What had I expected from her?! Solace?! Guess, she was really bad at showing that.

"Most of the population knew Gashmir and Kanan are cousins. I thought you would know, seeing that you're married to him. Haven't you met his family?!"

Diya jumped off too, crushing her cigar with her foot. Now that she has finished her smoking she wants to talk.

Sighing, I turned to her. She has her brow raised in a questioning manner. Of course, she would think that. She knew what she noticed. Other than that I hadn't had a talk with her except today. She didn't know how bad my relationship with Gashmir was. Also, the involvement of our families and their disliking towards our marriage. 

I was about to change the topic, when I heard the voice of the person of our discussion. 

"You aren't answering your calls again." As soon as I heard that I pocketed my mobile to find out it was on silent mode. Relief washed over me as I didn't find any missed call from daddu. But the jerk of a husband had banged my call log. What was with him?!