14. A Shadow From the Darkness (Sai)

Travelling across the savannah at night is one of the most beautiful experiences one can have in their life. It is completely different than during the day. There are so many sounds, filling the air with the sense of mystery and adventure, that it all becomes a loud anthem of life itself. Every creature that has spent the day, hidden from the heat in its lair, is now awake, hunting, mating and circling its territory.

   The endless starry sky captivates the sight, luring the eyes towards the bright constellations and the violet glimmer of The Gates, an enormous star cluster, stretching above us like a glowing path to another world.

   Big fireflies, glittering in yellow, green and purple are fluttering in swarms above every bush or tree. The song of the night whistler stands out among the other noises in warbling trills.

   It is dangerous, but we know what to do. We made ourselves visible and detectable from a distance. Animals would stay away from people and strong scents.

   We are gathered in a tight group. I and Dey are riding on the head. My white mare and his raven-black stallion are snorting excitedly, refreshed by the rest and eager to exercise their muscles.

   All the women are in the carts behind us, including the queen. They are tightly surrounded by soldiers. Another large circle of soldiers, holding torches are riding at a distance around the whole caravan. There are special herbs, burning and spreading sweet and intoxicating scent. It would keep most of the animals away. The two kings with their personal guard are at the back.

   It's still warm, but the light breeze is cooling us, making the trip pleasant.

   "Do you travel across the grass land often at night?" Dey asks, breathing in deeply the scented air.

   "No, I've done it only few times before. We usually use the divers," I chuckle. "Father would never let yours cross the border, though, or allow you to board ours. There was no other way."

   I'm happy like a child. He's not ignoring me anymore. It was actually his idea for us to lead the caravan. It's somehow intimate to ride slowly side by side with the others far behind us.

   "It's exciting, isn't it, so full of life," I smile.

   "Yes, it is," he smiles back. "I'm glad we're here. What is this?" A string of sharp, ghastly screeches makes him turn his head in their direction.

   "Golden foxes," I grin. "They are no bigger than a cat but their mating calls can really set you back on your heels."

   "Nothing can startle me," he rolls his eyes. "So, they are looking for a mate, huh?" He winks at me and it immediately unleashes the swirls of red on my face. I try to hide it in my palm, pretending to cough.

   "Sorry! Did I make you uncomfortable?" Dey smirks slyly. His attention is attracted by another loud noise, resembling irritated grunts, followed by shuffling in the nearby shrubs. "What about these?"

   "Hogs," I explain. "They are not afraid of people, but are not interested in us either. It's better to stay away, though. The males are easily provoked and quite aggressive."

   Dey nods. His eyes stay on my face longer this time. He bites his bottom lip and tilts his head, studying my features.

   "Do you hear God all the time?" he finally utters.

   "I don't hear voices in my head, if that's what you mean," I pout. I don't want him to perceive me as some kind of a natural wonder or, even worse, as a crazy person. "It just happens sometimes that the whisper appears and helps me see or rather feel things better."

   "Like in the desert, when you were about to faint?" he asks.

   "Yes," I nod. "I can't predict it, neither I know why. I think it is when I'm excited or an important thing is about to happen."

   "Do you understand the words?" he keeps questioning.

   "I don't," I shake my head, "but I sense what they mean."

   "What did you feel back then?" Dey whispers, staring into my eyes.

   "You," I mumble, gulping heavily. "I felt who you were."

   "What do you mean?" he raises his brows, but is suddenly distracted. He stills as if trying to hear something. "Sai, where did all the sounds go? It's perfectly quiet."

   The hairs on my skin instantly prickle. This is the worst sign. There can be only one thing that can make all animals, even the lions, skulk into their hiding places. All we can hear now is the constant whining of the mosquitos. Even the chirping of the crickets is gone.

   "The girls," I breathe out and, the next moment, scream to the top of my lungs. "Everybody surround the carts! Swords out! Ready to fight!"

   The two kings are galloping towards us.

   "This can't be it," father gasps. "No one has seen one for at least thirty years. We thought they were extinct. Where it could have crawled out from?"

   Before I could answer Dey's questioning stare, a large shadow emerges from the darkness before us. Two enormous yellow eyes are pinned on us without blinking from ten feet height. The silence is torn by a menacing growl, followed by a terrifying hiss.

   "What is this?" Dey utters.

   My attempt to answer is again interrupted by King Dorth's loud laughter.

   "Do you remember, Unufrail?" he turns to father. "We were no more than eighteen when we took one of those down together. We almost died. Aaah, the good old times, before your insane brother spitted out that shitty prophecy!"

   Father squints at him, "And before you forgot who your friends were and became crazier than him. "

   King Dorth only laughs out and points his sword towards the shadow. The hiss is getting louder and more threatening. "Do you think we can take it down again, old man?"

   "This one is much bigger. It looks fully grown," father grunts, "but I can assure you that it won't pass while I'm still standing."

   King Dorth looks at him with determination and raises both his swords, "We fought against each other for the last ten years, but I'm still ready to die next to you, my friend!"

   King Unufrail also raises his sword and yells, "Let's die together then!"

   The next moment the darkness before us is torn by a sudden blaze of fire and two enormous flaming wings raise in the air the most terrifying creature that has ever existed. It makes a large circle above our heads and gives a shrill scream before swooping down on us.

_____________________________________________

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 14!

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

The traveling group stumbled upon the most dangerous creature known in their world.

Do you think everybody will survive this encounter?

What do you think this creature is? 🤔

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny