xxiv. reunions and riots

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR ─── reunions and riots 

𝖂hen Stasiaj finally awoke the next morning, after the stressful night before, it was to Malkus' foot in her ribs, two of the girls across her legs, Ivarn clinging to her side and Celia lying with her head atop Stasiaj's heart. The Snake had tried her best not to groan in pain at the pointy elbows digging into her skin, and had then proceeded to untangle herself from the children. 

Smiling, the teenager had changed quickly before waking the kids and eating breakfast with them. Then, they all disappeared to their work, scurrying through the tunnels to listen to secrets and gather information on Van Eck, Rollins and whatever Kaz's boss was up to. 

Stasiaj, however, was hurrying through the western tunnels towards the bridge that Kaz was making the exchange on, Malkus following along behind. The stone walls echoed the sound of their footfalls, before Stasiaj stopped below the manhole cover that they needed.

Opening it slowly, Stasiaj leant down to boost Malkus up and onto the cobbles. 

"You know what to do?"

"Get Crow Man, bring him here," Malkus nodded, as Stasiaj pressed a kiss to his head.

"Good boy. Stay safe," He nodded, before rushing off onto the main street as Stasiaj dropped back down and began the wait, worry curling around her heart and squeezing tightly. This couldn't go wrong. Stasiaj didn't know what she would do if it did.

She trusted Kaz's plan, but she didn't know how Van Eck was going to react and that put her on edge. Stasiaj didn't feel good unless she knew what was going on with everything, otherwise she felt out of control.

There was no sounds from above, as Stasiaj leant against the wall, drumming her fingers against the wall, her nails clicking rhythmically. 

"Miss Stasiaj," She turned, seeing Ivarn come running towards her, his boots thudding along the stone. "Stasiaj!"

"What is it?"

"The Shu..." He trailed off, panting. "The Shu are planning an attack to get Grisha."

"Don't tell me now and on this bridge," Stasiaj whined, anger and worry curling inside of her like a restless snake.

"Now and on this bridge," The girl cursed. 

"Go home, get the others back. All of them!" She replied. "Send Celia to find Jesper and the others. We'll bring them back through the tunnels as well."