35

I wish time had better timing for you and me.

                                                    - Perry Poetry
-

"What are you talking about?" He asked. "You never told me about a journal."

"Yeah, because I didn't think it was important!" Her voice was frantic and distressed. "In my dream, Jane was holding that exact journal in her hands, asking me about it. I didn't know what it was at the time, and I told her that, which just caused her to get angry. I-I don't know what to do! What if that dream was a premonition and it's gonna happen? Oh fuck-"

"Aris, calm down." Edward placed his hands on her shoulders. "We'll figure this out, okay? This isn't the first weird thing about your dream. You somehow knew about Jane and Felix without having ever heard about them before, and now there's this. Who knows, maybe it's another side effect of being iridescent, or maybe it's a gift, like my mind reading." He suggested.

"But Edward, what if it is a gift, but I'm seeing the future? What if Jane and Felix do come to my house?" She ran her fingers through her hair pacing around desperately.

"I'm not going to say it's impossible, but think about it, your other nightmare about me asking you to kill me wasn't a premonition, so what're the odds that this one is?" He reminded her, which did help to settle her nerves a bit.

"Okay, okay. You're right. Just in case though, I'm not gonna buy that book. I'm just gonna get this one." She held up the blue and green marbled one that she had been looking at before.

Edward nodded, the both of them then heading towards the cash register and paying, before then heading to the car and driving back to the hotel.

"Well, now that we've gotten you the closure you finally needed, it doesn't really make sense to stay here much longer." Aris shrugged, taking a seat on the couch in their hotel room. "I say we head home within the next day or so. I wanna get home in time for the holidays."

Edward nodded, though he couldn't help the slight frown that played on his lips. He really enjoyed being there with her, and the thought of going back home where they'd have to be around other people aside from each other again didn't please him. He was enjoying getting to know her a lot better, and he didn't know if that would continue to happen when they returned home.

"What's wrong?" She asked, noticing his sudden change in demeanor.

"I don't wanna leave." He answered honestly, taking a seat on the couch next to her, but not daring to make eye contact.

"Why not?" She placed her hand gently on the side of his face, causing him to turn to her and meet her eyes.

"Honestly?" He asked, to which she nodded. "I'm scared that when we go back, things are going to return to how they were before we left." Aris looked at him confused, letting him know that he needed to elaborate. "I'm worried that we're going to go back to our old ways of just constantly fighting. I'm worried that this trip caused me to grow even more attached to you, and now I'm not going to be able to control my jealousy when you talk to other guys. I'm worried that we're going to go back to being just friends." He rambled on, his voice quiet as he finally voiced all the things that he'd been thinking.

Aris took a deep breath, struggling to process everything he said. "Isn't that a good thing though, being just friends? Isn't that what we wanted, and isn't that what we are now?"

Edward met her eyes again, noticing the uncertainty behind her tone and how she didn't truly believe what she was saying, but rather, she was just willing it to be true.

"Aris, you know this isn't just a friendship." His hand met hers on the side of his face.

"Well, it could be," she challenged, "if we stick to the rules." With that, she dropped her hand from his face.

Edward sighed deeply, breaking eye contact first. "Yeah, sounds good." He lied, voice monotone. "Starting now, the rules are stricter than before. Absolutely no touching or flirting, with the exception of me holding you while you fall asleep." Aris could hear the reluctance behind his voice, but she knew that it was better this way. If they really stuck to the rules, for good this time, then maybe they could make a friendship work.

"Edward, you know I wish it could be different, right?" She asked, though he didn't answer. "I want nothing more than to be more than friends with you, but at least right now, it doesn't seem like the best idea. We have forever, I'm sure something more would work for us in the future, but until we learn how to work well as friends first, I can't see anything more than that working out." Her tone held a level of reassurance behind it, causing Edward to relax a bit at the idea that maybe she wasn't opposed to something more blossoming between them in the future.

They spent the rest of the afternoon and evening just immersed in casual conversation while the TV played in the background, and before they knew it, it was nightfall once again.

Like usual, they headed their separate ways to get changed, before coming back together and Aris taking her usual position with her head on Edward's chest, his arms wrapped around her.

She counted the stars as she laid there silently in his arms, her chest rising and falling as her eyelids slowly started to become heavier, and eventually falling shut.

-

2:07 am came, and Aris awoke at exactly that time like usual. This time there were no tears, just her first instinct being to grab the journal on her bedside desk.

Edward turned on the light from his nightstand lamp, looking at her curiously as she examined the journal with wide and panicky eyes.

"The journal in my dream changed from the red book. Now it's this one." She mumbled, grabbing a pen from her nightstand and opening the journal up to its first page.

At a speed that would be too fast for a human to even process, she quickly scrawled down everything that she could remember about the nightmare.

December 21st, 2035.

I had the same recurring nightmare once again. It starts with me in my kitchen, noticing a black shadowy figure outside my window. I then hear someone at my front door, so naturally I head that way to check it out. I start up the stairs, but am then pulled down by someone from behind, who I later find out is named Felix. He restrains me from behind, and I no longer feel in control of my limbs, so I'm unable to fight back.

A girl who looks to be thirteen, who I later find out is named Jane, then descends the stairs with my journal in hand. It used to be the deep red journal that read "vampires don't weep", but now it's this one I'm currently writing in. Jane and I then have a conversation, which I can't remember at all. All I remember is just feeling terrified for my life. My nightmare ends with her telling Felix to kill me, and him then placing his teeth on my neck.

I don't know what this means, or what to do. Is this a premonition? Is this me seeing into my own future? Or am I simply just overreacting?

- Aris

She handed the journal to Edward, pulling her knees up to her chest and holding her head in her hands as he read it.

"I think you just continue to do this each night, noting any changes in the nightmare or how you're feeling." He said softly, handing the journal back to her. "Other than that, I don't really think there's much else that we can do but wait."

Aris nodded, taking a deep breath and straightening out her legs as she placed the journal back on her nightstand. Edward then turned off the lamp again, pulling her into his chest as they laid back down, her drifting off to sleep once more.