Chapter 27: Sophie

I awoke the next morning to a slight humming as Linh pulled the curtains open with a flourish. I hissed, the light searing my eyes, and a soft laugh lit the room up even brighter. Biana. 

"What, are you a vampire or something?"

I rolled my eyes and sat up. "What are you doing here?"

Biana studied me, taking in my tear stained cheeks, and the dark circles under my eyes. "I'm worried about you. Am I not allowed to be worried about you?"

I glared at her, and grumbled, "No." 

She laughed again, and pulled on my arm gently. "C'mon. The selected are waiting."

Linh silently got me dressed, and I grinned at my appearance. This would do. I was wearing an ice blue dress. The top of it white sequined halter top, and ice blue ruffles for the bottom of it. I stared myself down-You will not break. You will not be afraid. You will win.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I followed Biana to the dining hall, but before I could push the doors open, a maid hurried up to me, telling me of the announcement I had to make. I gaped at her. What?  This was absurd. How was this fair? I grit my teeth a nodded a thanks and dismissal. I hate this god-forsaken selection. How was I supposed to go and announce that? And there were cameras. I breathed out and glared at the floor. Fine. They wanna play? Then I'll give them a game.