mgg blurb: painting date (fluff)

you hated seeing matthew upset, like now when he was feeling burnt out and unmotivated. he wasn't feeling that creative and you knew it was affecting him more than he was letting on. creating was his outlet, whether it was drawing or writing or painting, he always had some way of expressing how he felt until now.

you realised it'd been a while since he'd been inspired to do any of those and you took it into your own hands to get him into the creative mood again. you had a whole plan ready, you got up early that morning, dragging everything you'd bought onto the deck outside his house, setting up two canvases facing away from each other. you'd also ordered a fresh set of his favourite paint and even got him some cute custom brushes. it was perfect.

he woke up late that day, rolling out of bed at noon. but he didn't get far as you surprised him with a cute breakfast in bed, not wanting him to see what you had set up downstairs. the enamoured look on his face as you walked into the room, seeing your body covered in one of his old t-shirts, hair still messy from the night before and a tired smile resting on your lips, made your heart stutter.

you sat beside him as he ate, telling him about this crazy dream you'd had, and he laughs at it, enjoying the way your brain worked in the same insane way as his. he ate his food quickly, sharing half of it with you despite you insisting that you'd already eaten. he's sweet, slowly sliding a piece of turkey bacon towards you (faux bacon for my veggies) and laughing as you bite into it, struggling to chew off a piece as you realise you'd definitely overcooked it. he doesn't mind, he never does.

you waited patiently until he was done and when he was, you took him by the hand, making him promise to close his eyes as you pulled him through the house. you brought him outside, showing him the set-up and when he sees what you've done he's speechless. partly because he can't believe you've been able to do this without waking him up and partly because he can't believe you would do this for him at all. you lead him over to the chairs you'd set him, handing him a table topped with all the supplies you would need before relaying your plans.

"we're going to paint something we love. it can be anything, you can even draw that silly little rock you found the other day." he laughs again, his eyes shining with adoration for the person in front of him. not believing that they were real, they were his...and in that moment he knew what he was gonna paint.

its quiet as you commence with your work, the chirps from the birds and the soft jazz playing from inside the house fill the air outside and you can hear matthew humming along under his breath. its peaceful. the gentle sounds of the brush hitting the paper, the small continuous glances he takes at you, thinking he's subtle but you can tell. his head popping up from above his canvas making you laugh to yourself, its peaceful.

its a while before you're done, you end up creating a replica of the toy sloth matthew had bought you 3 months into your relationship, its soft and cuddly just like him. he knows you like to cling to it the nights he's not there, and he can't even tease you for him because he loves that you do it. now, you're not a natural artist but you try your best, working your way through the colour palette to perfect your art. you're almost finished when he calls out to you.

"are you done?" he asks, and you call out a no and tell him you'll be done in a minute. you're not, you take another 5 at least, but he doesn't complain, again...he never does.

you're not nervous showing him your work, you would be if it was anyone else but matthew....he always made you feel safe, never judged you. you count down to 3 before you flip over your canvas, his face lights up and he smiles at you as he sees what you've down, "is that....?" and you nod, watching him giggle to himself. he tells you he loves it, that its perfect.. it isn't but to him, anything you do is perfection.

you're giddy as you wait for him to show you what he's made. he's hesitant which makes you nervous but you put it down to the time spent away from creating and being so unsure of himself. he slowly turns his canvas to you, your eyes widening and jaw-dropping as you see it. its you. he'd painted you and captured your beauty in a way only he could, its amazing and your heart is pounding out of your chest as you take it.

"matthew..." you get up, walking over to him as he puts his canvas back on the easel.

"you told me to paint what i love..." your breath hitches in your throat, he hasn't said those words to you before, the three big words. the words that he swore he would only say when he'd found his soulmate, the person he was going to marry - the person he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. "...i love you."

it's simple yet earth-shattering. everything around you stops for a moment as the words fall from his lips. the look in his eyes told you he means it, with everything he has to give to the world...he means it.